• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

choosing signals units (V)

witchcraft said:
polar said:
As a guess I'd put it down to phys, probably its also a combination of white fleet comms exercises and tactical non comms exercises (i.e. soldiers have no experience of defending a comms site esp 2 (NC) Sig Bde soldiers).
Arguably that isn't a Bde issue, it is a Sqn and/or Regt'l trg issue, there are very "green and warry" sub units in the Bde and at least one whole major unit.
Then noticed this on Signals forum

choosing signals units

Realising I had similar thoughts and acted on them a few years ago, moving from a REMF unit to a 'teeth' arm signals unit (ok we work with infantry but from nice offices in regional Bde HQ). Its a lot better, work with modern comms systems, have customers giving us problems but ... I actually enjoyed being under canvas, getting cold and wet. Awaking in the middle of the night and getting my switch bitches to launch a counter attack .. it was fun but I like the geeky side aswell.

Where is the one Army concept when u need it, why can't I do both like a regular? Yes guicci units exist but their all down South (ok I know thats not entirely true.. I have had a couple of PMs trying to subvert me :thumleft: )

I do miss the days pre SDR where I put the 352 on me back and lived under a poncho/canvas

WhiteHorse said:
Whats up polar, not doing ARRC this year?
Hmm two weeks in the field and putting a loop on the mux was the most technical thing you do :frustrated:

TopBadger said:
When is a 2(NC) unit going to have to defend a comms site at a Bronze, Silver or Gold HQ exactly?
No but its soldiers when mobilised may have to, I just think they need exposure to the bigger picture and its fun!

Oh well, back to ICS.... UNICOMs just shut down and JPA is still go live 1st April

Defense of a comms site is useful from a training point of view... provided you've got and am trained on the kit that makes up a comms site!

All our kit seems to have been either sent out to sandy place I or II, or its been backloaded. No Kit = no need for defense IMHO.

Anyone elses units suffering from a distinct lack of kit? Or is our unit a one off?

TB

TopBadger said:
When is a 2(NC) unit going to have to defend a comms site at a Bronze, Silver or Gold HQ exactly?
Maybe if the bronze is located in South Armagh...Go 40........LOL

TopBadger said:
Maybe if the bronze is located in South Armagh...Go 40........LOL

TopBadger said:
Defense of a comms site is useful from a training point of view... provided you've got and am trained on the kit that makes up a comms site!
I don't think you can forget it as an aid for retention. We spent camp last year supporting a missed bag of theatre troops units all under command 8 Field Eng Bde. We deployed without webbing or rifles, many other units didn't. We spent time off shift watching the Arty practice doing section attacks, ambushes etc. Also heard talk of other units doing beach assults, heli assults etc. Our guys just stood by watching other units having fun.

We just manned COMMCENs and generators

Oddly enough, we lost several soldiers to the LI when we returned. (Saying that it was far more interesting/demanding than supporting regional bde)

I don't think you can forget it as an aid for retention. We spent camp last year supporting a missed bag of theatre troops units all under command 8 Field Eng Bde. We deployed without webbing or rifles, many other units didn't. We spent time off shift watching the Arty practice doing section attacks, ambushes etc. Also heard talk of other units doing beach assults, heli assults etc. Our guys just stood by watching other units having fun.

Isn't that just what TA Sigs do on ops anyway?

Wench3000 said:
Isn't that just what TA Sigs do on ops anyway?
Not entirely sure but in Iraq, sentries etc was done by TA Infantry. Sigs were going out doing patrols, top cover and also manning defences. Their is a RSigs lessons learned from Telic somewhere, its forced changes on Cpl&Sgt CLM courses.

^It must be a northern thing, although I remember trying to transfer files between TN's (and remembering what we did at work many years ago and this being presented as a major advancement)

polar said:
TopBadger said:

Oddly enough, we lost several soldiers to the LI when we returned. (Saying that it was far more interesting/demanding than supporting regional bde)

As WITCHCRAFT said this is a Regt/Sqn failing and the people responsible for directing and implementing training at both levels. But then of course I do remember a thread on here about the said Regt from 18 months ago that the TA SNCOs were all knackers and weren't interested in doing proper mil skills like defence of comms sites. Where do you fit? Afterall aren't you one of those individuals responsible for delivering training. Im surprised that you imply your not trained to work your kit as all the rest of us here is that you are the experts in it. Perhaps someone should take it off you then and give it to the rest of us that can do the military stuff.

Oh and I am in sigs and I have been to Iraq and spent 7 months doing top cover for which my Regt ably prepared me for and OPTAG refined.

Dont tar us all with your brush!

morechanges said:
As WITCHCRAFT said this is a Regt/Sqn failing and the people responsible for directing and implementing training at both levels. But then of course I do remember a thread on here about the said Regt from 18 months ago that the TA SNCOs were all knackers and weren't interested in doing proper mil skills like defence of comms sites.
Alright lets stick fingers in our ears and pretend its only one unit. Oddly I tend to not comment on my unit and only post about general issues. My comments summarised things I'd heard from at least 4 regiments, I've only heard differing comments from 32 Sigs.

Also if I've got the correct thread, that was more about general Corps training (both regular and TA) e.g. one the persons posting on that thread was ex 4 Sqn Blandford and 216

morechanges said:
Im surprised that you imply your not trained to work your kit as all the rest of us here is that you are the experts in it. Perhaps someone should take it off you then and give it to the rest of us that can do the military stuff.

Dont tar us all with your brush!
Hmm, I only repeated a comment from a regular officer in 10 Sigs/2 (NC) Sig Bde and that was nothing to do with being able to operate equipment. It was a comment on JMH not being updated to use modern equipment, the main weakness in our procedures was not having dispatch riders to deliver messages.

morechanges said:
Where do you fit?
2 (NC) Sig Bde Trade Union Rep?

Polar's right - I have heard the same complaints from guys in different Regts throughout 2 (NC) Sig Bde, i.e. lack of suitable trade training, bone exercises, sitting in dets for hours with no signals traffic (particularly in exs at Regt/Bde level).

My comment still stands - its a Regt/Sqn thing. I know at least 4 Regts in 2 (NC) Sig Bde who do do mil trg including tactics - in mine we complained we did to much at one stage!!

Evrytime we go out on Ex, whether on UK Ops or not we carry wpns, do cam etc. Our boss has the view that trg time is so limited that we need to multi-task and, if we're sitting around our Tp Staffy, OC or PSI does impromptu mil trg - last one was target indicators, ranges etc!

As for bone Ex's again thats Regt/Sqn. the last Bde Ex was the FTX in September which was, as posted on here by numerous people across the Bde, the best ex that the Bde had run. As we dont have weekend Bde ex's anymore it kind of points the problem at Regt/Sqn!

As for beeing the 2 Sig Bde Union Rep you don't speak for me or my mates. If you truely were the Rep you wouldnt just gripe about things youd be putting options and recommendations forward, seeking comments on how we could do things better. Afterall your in the Mess and from your threads one of our suposed key supervisors and decision influencers!