Choosing a reserve unit

Hey

Spent 3 years in the OTC and currently waiting for mainboard in July, however, got a CAT 3 in briefing, I was told i was a good leader and very physical person but my low MAP and plan-exe scores let me down which I wasn't surprised about. I don't mind whether I serve as a soldier or an officer. I attempted AOSB because if I didn't try I wouldn't know. I'm making a backup plan to become a reserve soldier because I want to serve in some way. I have an Exercise and sports science degree and currently teaching so reserve would be perfect. I located in the south-west and was looking at such places as infantry (6 rifles), Armoured and Engineers. My only worry is I would like to join a something like the armoured or engineers but i have no real experience in those fields but would love to learn. Would love some advice on which to choose.

Thank you

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Pretty sure you have posted this in the wrong forum. However, the best answer to the question is another question - what do you want to get out of it? I understand that there are few armoured reserve units where you would actually do the role? For example, Roytal Yeomanry offer CR2 crewman but dont see any very often...
If you want to soldier, go infantry. You might be interested to know that 7 Rifles is now armoured infantry - no idea what this means from the junior officer point of view, i have only really seen them sit in the turret watching!

Your right, I didn't mean to do that my bad, thank you for moving it. I think the thing I want to most is to be challenged, learn, see and do as much as I can. Travelling would be a bonus and to be a part of a good group of people. 7 rifles sound good they are just quite far from me.

Ooh, South West!

Ahem,......

My unit, 255 TACP Battery RA are located in Bath.

255 Battery are the Army’s only dedicated TACP unit, supplying JTACs (Joint Terminal Attack Controllers -Forward Air Controllers in old speak) and TACPs in support of 1 Arty Bde. JTACs must complete the Regular JTAC Course (there’s no Reserve course) and ROMADS (Radio Operator MAintainer Driver’s) do the Regular TACP course (again there’s no Reserve course).

If you’re interested in something a little different, and like to travel, you might like to consider us. Exercises for this year alone are USA, Germany, France, France again, USA again, the Czech Republic, and possibly Canada. Also, it really is one of the coolest jobs in the Army.

If you’d like more info, don’t hesitate to PM me.

I'd suggest that you look for a unit that generally has its Annual Camps in the middle of the summer holidays or one that has separate Camps for each of its sub-units so you have an option on dates.

As you are a teacher, I would guess that a fortnight off in term-time is a no-no.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd suggest that you look for a unit that generally has its Annual Camps in the middle of the summer holidays or one that has separate Camps for each of its sub-units so you have an option on dates.

As you are a teacher, I would guess that a fortnight off in term-time is a no-no.
2nd that - one of our JNCO's is a teacher, but our camp is usually in September so he routinely misses out.

2nd that - one of our JNCO's is a teacher, but our camp is usually in September so he routinely misses out.
At 255 we have exercises all through the year. Also we don’t have to do a 15 day block. We’re told that we can break it up as long as it amounts to at least 15 days meaningful training.

Edit. As an example, when we went to Czech last year, two of us did the full three weeks, others did two weeks, one did ten days, and one did six days.

383 CDO in Plymouth. RLC Pet Ops. We have teacher in our Troop that seems to manage. We don't generally have a 'Troop camp' so you could pick and choose which course/exercise fits your calendar......and of course you could up your game and get yourself a green lid by going for the All Arms Commando Course.