Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by h-bomb, Aug 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday I let my med student friend do a practice knee exam on me he said I have chondromalacia.Chondromalacia (KON-dro-mah-LAY-she-ah), also called chondromalacia patellae, refers to softening of the articular cartilage of the kneecap. This disorder occurs most often in young adults and can be caused by injury, overuse, misalignment of the patella, or muscle weakness. Instead of gliding smoothly across the lower end of the thigh bone, the knee cap rubs against it, thereby roughening the cartilage underneath the knee cap. The damage may range from a slightly abnormal surface of the cartilage to a surface that has been worn away to the bone. Chondromalacia related to injury occurs when a blow to the knee cap tears off either a small piece of cartilage or a large fragment containing a piece of bone (osteochondral fracture).

An article I read about it said it happens most to otherwise healthy young adults and is seen most commonly in runners, cyclist and skiiers, three sports I particiapte in every week which is probably why I have it.

I don't feel any pain when I run or walk so I don't think I have it that bad, I wouldn't even know I have it if I hadn't let my friend practice knee exams on me. Will this prevent me from joing the army or TA?
  2. You're not on your own chap, I had the same damned thing. I wrote a thread sharing my experiences of it here:

It is curable, I no longer have any problems. Although I find running on concrete is best avoided. Luckily the army seems to agree with me.

I know how disheartening it can be. However, I followed my physio's advice, I healed, and passed the medical with no problems.
  3. cheers mate the possibility of failing the medical never even entered my head until my friend examined me, I would be absolutely gutted if I couldnt join.
  4. My son had it all the way through school and it caused him no end of discomfort. That said, he was as fit as a lop, ran cross country and played rugby for the school. I also taught him to ski as soon as he was able to stand up on a pair of planks and he eventually went on to do a stint in the Regular Army before he got all loved-up and left. Basically then, you ought to be OK and it does eventually wear off. Good luck
  5. 2 points from me (at risk of earning an oxygen thief badge)

1) chonromalacia patellae is more commonly referred to as patella femoral pain syndrome now, but all the rest is bang on. will take a few visits to a physio to get sorted but well worth it, I can only stress (as will your physio) that a lot of the work is down to you and you will only improve if you put the work in, no magic cure but got to be better than arthritic knees by the time you are 40. Usually we only see PFPS when people have pain by which time the wear on the cartilage is well under way. You have a chance to sort it before you do so buy your friend a beer and have a great career.

2) Earl it sounds more like your son had Osgood-schlatters syndrome (although can't say for sure without having seen him) which affects sporty teenagers and you do grow out of it - usually by the time your about 16, the condition above you generally don't get until you are older. I don't mean to sound petty I just don't want people ignoring knee pain thinking it will go away.
  6. I will do whatever it takes to fix it I know the only 2 careers that interest me are joining the army or the police force. Im not lacking motivation Im female but making sure I can pass the male entrance requirements. I will see a phsyio as soon as I am back in Britian. yeah my friend has saved me alot of pain in the future hes goign to get a whole case of beers :)
  7. I don't think I mentioned that icing up your legs after training helps a lot as well, when combined with physio treatment. Make sure you know how to use ice properly.

Ibuprofen gel is your friend, readily available in a Tescos.