chondromalacia patella - a complete bar to entry?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ccfc1984, Mar 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have just received a medical deferment because I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella back in 1999. GPs notes on my RG8 say 'diagnosed but symptoms stopped spontainously after sometime', his suggestion was that this was due to growth. Will this bar my entry completely? My GP has agreed to write a letter of appeal after carrying out a check up on the knee.

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Mate, who sent the letter of deferment? Was it the Senior Medical Officer (SMO) at a Selection Centre? It really depends where along the process you are. Have you had your PULHHEEMS assessment by a locally approved Doctor (not your own GP)?

I'm guessing not and that therefore your RG8 Part 1 has been sent for screening at the ASDC and that's where the SMO issued a 'Deferred for further information' and the ball is now back in your GP's court. The letter of explanation from your GP should be enough to get you called forward for your PULHHEEMS assessment, if the things are as you describe them. This could in all likelihood be the SMO clarifying anything and everything that looks unusual and is just part of the screening process.

3. that sounds more like the scenario, thanks RP. So a letter should do the job?

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Mate, I don't have the answer to that as I'm not your (or anyone else's) doctor. From what you've posted here though i.e. no problems since 1999, I think an explanatory note from your GP to the effect that you don't have a knee problem, should get you called forward for a medical PULHHEEMS assessment.

Have a word with your Recruit NCO/Officer as he/she will have all the information about your case and be aware of what's happening with your application. All that I or anyone else on this forum can really do is speculate, but I wanted to describe the process so as to put your mind at rest a little by demystifying it. Sometimes you've just got to give the system a chance to work.

5. thanks mate.