• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Cholesterol and Heart Disease--New Findings

**** it. I'm going to die one day , thats for certain. So in the meantime I'll eat and drink what I want and I'll be happy.
None of this " Thats bad for you, thats unhealthy , thats really bad for you"

Just **** off!

JJH nice to see you posting again .

25 years ago Simvastatin and Aspirin were recommended by my GP to reduce risks in later life ... I now take an Aspirin every other day ... daily caused clotting problems when shaving ... Simvastatin caused me muscle aches so I now take a small dosage every other day ... do they work ? ... well I am the wrong side of 75 and still get out in the hills doing albeit shorter walks at lower levels . No noticeable side effects now .... so will continue .

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Nothing quite so dramatic. Just got very busy getting my firearms training business started and spending time with new twin grandaughters.;-)

I had a sudden flashback of a film I had not seen nor thought about in thirty years ...

Last edited:
I had a “heart scare” a few years ago. Severe chest pains whilst doing deadlifts with a sandbag on a boot camp. TBH I’d been ignoring it for a while.

Cue 24 hours in hospital, but no sign of a heart attack. Referred to a cardiologist, stress tests, scans etc etc. Nothing found; heart in the lowest 20 percentile risk range for my age. But cholesterol up at 6,2 so cardiologists writes script for statins which I ignored.

Subsequently got seriously fit; fitter than I ever was in uniform. Routine chest discomfort, but it came back badly early this year.

GP tells me it inflamed intercostal tissue and prescribes pain killers. Cholesterol now 7.2; “you really need statins” she says. So this time I got the script fulfilled but never took them.

About the same time, I came across cannabis oil. Taking it daily, chest inflammation gone, cholesterol 3.8.
Question: Hemp seed oil, or cannabis oil?

Nothing quite so dramatic. Just got very busy getting my firearms training business started and spending time with new twin grandaughters.;-)
If I am still alive after my neck operation I will swing by and say hello late next year, probably Oct/Nov, when I go to Bill Roger's place for my mandatory range beasting.

If I am still alive after my neck operation I will swing by and say hello late next year, probably Oct/Nov, when I go to Bill Roger's place for my mandatory range beasting.
Might have to try & arrange to meet up, as late October/November's when I'm in the area. (Rome).

Oh FFS, they might as well say that life causes death. It's all about as accurate as predicting what the UK economy will look like by April next year.

That would be great. PM as needed.

And this is why I still stick to my story that the earth really is flat. It will be back in the vogue again soon. Everything else is just a fad which keep coming and going. Like all these foods which are healthy one minute, then un-healthy again, then healthy again....ad nauseam.
Most of the 'healthy, then unhealthy, repeat' stuff is crap in newspapers and healthfood websites from someone that has read a 2 line abstract of a study and then simplified that. Here's a good example - The Amazing Cancer-Fighting Benefits of Curcumin which conveniently forgets to mention you would need to eat hundreds of grams of turmeric every day to get any noticeable amount of the active compound in your diet.

Although if there is solid evidence that previous ideas were wrong, surely it's better to accept that? ;)

'Flawed' is putting it mildly. If the BHF's criticisms are correct then there are some pretty major sources of error. It really is worth reading the BHF summary.

My favourite was that 2/3rds of the patients in this analysis came from one study which showed that taking statins reduced the risk of death. This was from a study that showed higher cholesterol correlates with lower all-cause mortality, not mortality from heart disease. It also found that higher levels of fats in the blood correlated with higher rates of death.

The quoted study also excluded patients with diabetes, cardiovascular disease or previous statin prescriptions. Put them back in to the numbers and I suspect the link between high cholesterol and lowered mortality might well disappear.

This is why I'm such a pedantic bastard about actually reading studies rather than the headlines based on them. The major quoted study in the OP analysis is here - link. I've had a quick look at their overall results table and (assuming I'm interpreting hazard ratios correctly for mortality) the general trend is that increasing cholesterol first decreases the overall risk of death and then it increases again (except for the over 70s where it remains lower).

The risk of death when taking a statin is lower than the risk of death at any level of cholesterol without a statin for all age groups. Hardly convincing evidence for getting rid of statins. What was interesting was that LDL ('bad' cholesterol) by itself appears to have a greater impact on mortality than statins which does run contrary to the current orthodoxy.

Being neither an academic medic or a cardiologist, I'm happy to continue the simvastatin, aspirin and bisoprolol regime prescribed by my little fat GP, although I've changed the types and dosages of statin a number of times over the years. I don't have any truck with skimmed milk etc - really, whats the point? I self-prescribe a certain daily quantity of pilsner and whisky, which have very clear benefits.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm just waiting for the highly respected report to show that smoking is actually good for you and that COPD and lung cancer are due to the lack of smoke permeating your body.
That'll teach 'em.
It's the filters what cause the cancer.