• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Cholesterol and Heart Disease--New Findings

Treble lard and chips with Guinness chasers all round....

I'm just waiting for the highly respected report to show that smoking is actually good for you and that COPD and lung cancer are due to the lack of smoke permeating your body.
That'll teach 'em.

There does seem to be resistance against the 'fat is good for you', but the evidence that it really is, is mounting.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/abstract

The Pure Study was a massive observational study, covering 100,000+ people, over 18 different countries, for an average of 7.4 years.

It's conclusion was:

1.png

But you'll no doubt find a rebuff to that.

I'm not sure what the score is, to be honest, but there's plenty of evidence to show that fat mightn't be the bad boy people once thought it was.

Personally, I've changed my diet to one high in fat (including saturates) and I've never felt better or been fitter (I'm 49 years old).

Statins can have some really nasty side effects and should only be taken if you are very high risk

There does seem to be resistance against the 'fat is good for you', but the evidence that it really is, is mounting.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/abstract

The Pure Study was a massive observational study, covering 100,000+ people, over 18 different countries, for an average of 7.4 years.

It's conclusion was:

View attachment 352904

But you'll no doubt find a rebuff to that.

I'm not sure what the score is, to be honest, but there's plenty of evidence to show that fat mightn't be the bad boy people once thought it was.

Personally, I've changed my diet to one high in fat (including saturates) and I've never felt better or been fitter (I'm 49 years old).
Rebuff? Not me guv. I am with you - all good wholesome stuff in moderation including proper dairy and quality meat.

I just find it all a bit confusing

In the days when no-one thought that fat was bad for you we were all a lot thinner.
Indeed. But the majority of the population also moved more and expended more calories keeping warm in poorly heated environments back then. I suspect that lard alone is bad whilst lard, vegetables and exercise may be rather better for you.

Statins can have some really nasty side effects and should only be taken if you are very high risk
I was prescribed them by my doctor, purely based on age & given assurances they were the best thing since sliced bread a vegetable & nut diet & perfectly safe.
After having been taking them for 18 months, I went for my biennial eye check & my optician said I was starting with cataracts & asked if I was on statins.
He told me to bin them, as one of their negative effects is an increase in the chance of having cataracts & to see him again after 12 months, rather than 2 years.
Went back in July & he said the cataracts had almost completely receded & showed me the two images he'd taken which proved the point.
Oh & my quack conveniently forgot to mention the increased risk of certain kinds of stroke, or becoming diabetic...

Indeed. But the majority of the population also moved more and expended more calories keeping warm in poorly heated environments back then. I suspect that lard alone is bad whilst lard, vegetables and exercise may be rather better for you.
They tended to die 15 or 20 years younger too, though I doubt very much their diet was the reason.

After last years personal body MOT the Quack got all flustery with me telling me I need to start taking cholesterol medication as my readings are high according to the blood test.

I asked for a hard copy of the results and check all the readings - everything well within bounds apart from cholesterol which, after doing the calculation myself, was a mahoosive 2% over the norm limits. So he wanted me to start popping a pill, it is a well known factoid that US Quacks are pill happy as they would rather over prescribe than get sued for failing to prescribe.

Needless to say I did not bother taking the pills.

And this is why I still stick to my story that the earth really is flat. It will be back in the vogue again soon. Everything else is just a fad which keep coming and going. Like all these foods which are healthy one minute, then un-healthy again, then healthy again....ad nauseam.

I had a “heart scare” a few years ago. Severe chest pains whilst doing deadlifts with a sandbag on a boot camp. TBH I’d been ignoring it for a while.

Cue 24 hours in hospital, but no sign of a heart attack. Referred to a cardiologist, stress tests, scans etc etc. Nothing found; heart in the lowest 20 percentile risk range for my age. But cholesterol up at 6,2 so cardiologists writes script for statins which I ignored.

Subsequently got seriously fit; fitter than I ever was in uniform. Routine chest discomfort, but it came back badly early this year.

GP tells me it inflamed intercostal tissue and prescribes pain killers. Cholesterol now 7.2; “you really need statins” she says. So this time I got the script fulfilled but never took them.

About the same time, I came across cannabis oil. Taking it daily, chest inflammation gone, cholesterol 3.8.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
In the days when no-one thought that fat was bad for you we were all a lot thinner.
Was that when sweeties and chocolate was on ration?

Seriously though you are correct, but I think we were a lot more active. When I was a small kid I remember walking with my mum to the shops at least three times a week and that was probably a good mile each way, and no bloody McDonalds or KFC. Dad had the car for work, mum made sure dinner was ready with no pre cooked crap, that is what we should be getting back to. Nowadays these mums stay at home, small kids on computers, mum playing bingo on line and getting the shopping delivered because she hasn't got time, result, kids grow up lazy and fat!
Right I'm off to the shops, now where are my bloody car keys?