Choked up reading this today

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, Sep 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Telegraph today:

Fiancee of soldier killed in Iraq reveals his final letter
    By Nigel Bunyan
    (Filed: 22/09/2006)

A soldier killed in Iraq left his fiancée a heartbreaking letter declaring his undying love for her.

Gunner Lee Thornton, 22, of Blackpool, Lancs, told close friends that Helen O’Pray, 21, should only open his final words to her if he died on his latest tour of duty in Iraq.

The young soldier was shot and fatally wounded while on patrol near Basra earlier this month.

He died two days later in a military hospital in Germany with Miss O’Pray, a student, and his parents at his bedside.

Today Miss O’Pray, of Sandbach, Cheshire, disclosed the full text of the letter she had hoped she would never have to open.

It reads in part:

Hi babe,

I don’t know why I am writing this because I really hope that this letter never gets to you, because if it does that means I am dead.

It also means I never had time to show you just how much I really did love you. You have shown me what love is and what it feels like to be loved.

Every time you kissed me and our lips touched so softly I could feel it. I got the same magical feeling as our first kiss.

I know God put me and you on this earth to find each other, fall in love and show the rest of the world what true love really is. I know this is going to sound sad, but every night I spent away I had a photo of you on my headboard.

Each night I would go to bed, kiss my fingers, then touch your face. I put the photo over my bed so you could look over me as I slept. Well, now it is my turn to look over you as you sleep and keep you safe in your dreams.

Just because I have passed away does not mean I am not with you. I’ll always be there looking over you, keeping you safe. So whenever you feel lonely just close your eyes and I’ll be there right by your side.

I really did love you with all I had, you were everything to me. Never forget that, and never forget I will always be looking over you. I love you, you are my soul mate.

Love always and forever.

Fcuk me - that is powerful stuff. I hope this brings a lump to your throat as it did mine.
  2. Serious lump in throat. Dang!
  3. Yes it did. Know the feeling well. Your loved ones are always close by , even after they've gone. Energy surrounds us all, where does it go when we die?

We can't create or destroy it, it simply takes another form. Whether that form is capable of thought or deed I know not, but I like to think it can.

Love will always find a way.
  4. I really can't think of anything to say to that which is adequate.

Powerful, sad, beautiful and yes, humbling.

5. Do the COs have enough spare dosh in the kitty to send this lady the worlds biggest fcuk bunch of flowers interflora have ever seen from the membership?
  6. I think that is the worst thing you have to write when you go away on tour.
    Very touching, and rest in peace!!
  7. Heartwrenching...
  8. Eyes have just filled. Heartbreaking to read, but in a sense it must be comforting in some way to her.
  9. Great idea. I am willing to contribute if told how.

One of the most moving things I've ever read.
  10. I'm with Lanky on this one.

11. Me too
  12. Touche I am with Face like a - would be a nice touch.
    I did something similar to this chap when I was in Iraq I thank the man upstairs sometimes that at the end of tour I was lucky enough to burn it the night before I returned.

God bless him and his loved ones.

13. Appear to have dust in my eye, I;ll catch up with you in a minute, carry on
  14. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Agreed, it took me hours to write mine (although the one to my parents was strangely too easy). Waiteds until i got back, took it out into the garden and lit it with the biggest cigar i could find.

My heart goes out to this poor girl and the families involved. may their heartache fade but never the memories and smiles.