Choices

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by canuck1, Apr 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, bear with me as a I have a few questions.

I have recently joined the London Reg and I am due to finish CIC this July. However, I have been looking at other regiments that may suit my lifestyle and work better. I am interested to know of the deployment patterns of 4 Para, HAC, 3MI and the London Scottish. Does anyone know who it is easier to deploy with and what their performance is like on tour and who will I have the most beneficial deployment with (ie not being sidelined as ‘TA’) ?

Additionally, if I do CIC with current unit then transfer, would entrance to 4 Para and HAC mean I skip basic training in both Units and go on to P Company and Phase 2 training respectively?

Thanks

2. A better bet would be to decide exactly what the **** you want to do, then choose a unit appropriately. Your choices are pretty different jobs and require equally divergent skill sets. These days I can't see any of the units you mention being sidelined as TA on tour.

I can't comment on what Inf do as an insider, but from the outside I can't see how you can top 4 Para for the integrated experience. If you're good enough to get in and pass P Coy that is.

As to the HAC, they do interesting stuff in a kind of ninja CCTV operator way and again you'll have to get through their selection.

3 MI - which is where I am - will allow you to do practically everything the regs do and you'll have so many offers to go away hitting your inbox your head will spin. If you're good enough to get in and stick it through the trade training.

3. Mmmm, You've joined the London Regiment and want to transfer to London Scottish? Wouldnt that be A (The London Scottish) Coy of The London Regiment? So an internal posting?! Seems an odd thing to say for someone in that Regiment.

4. 3 MI - which is where I am - will allow you to do practically everything the regs do and you'll have so many offers to go away hitting your inbox your head will spin. If you're good enough to get in and stick it through the trade training.[/QUOTE]

I realise I am little all over the place with choices - problem is I'm interested in what they all do.

Could you please tell me what the recruitment process is like for 3MI. I understand that I would be a transfer, but I just want to get a better idea of what it is like in terms of both requirements and time. Please feel free to reply by this thread or in a private message.

Cheers

5. i say give your Unit a year, se what its about. You could love it, and even if you hate it you will be able to give a better reason on why you want to transfer.

6. As OOTS says you're not really selling yourself, but 3MI wise there are (and probably will be for the foreseeable) constant tours. There is no "cycle" as the Bn provides individual augmentees so you deploy, in most cases, all on your ownsome. As to performance on tour - well that's kind of up to you isn't it?

Basically if you want to do INT join 3 MI, pass tech selection, pass the trade course and crack on. If you don't then don't.

7. can anyone shed a little light on the best TA regiments as im interested in ,gunners ,RLC,Engineers but there is a few to choose from ,in the three stated
    i would like to know how good the artillery is as AS90 Gunner for territorial if so? plus support driver RLC,Territorial ,combat pioneer RLC,Territorial and construction ie plasterer joiner painter engineers , if possible good and bad points directions etc ,,