Choice of work environment

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by arrsemeister, Jul 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have looked around, but have not seen this answered anywhere. (or asked, for that matter.)
    Do CMTs get a choice of what sort of environment they'd like to work in? E.G, If I wanted to go out on patrol with infantry, would their wishes be taken into account? Or would my wishes have no bearing on where I'd be sent?
    Would I be assigned to work with soldiers of a particular regt. on a one off basis, or would I be attached to a regiment for the duration of the tour?

Can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere, could you please shed some light on this?
  2. Unless things have changed, if you do a tour with a regiment then you stay with that regiment on their strength. If you are there as a section then you may move round within the regiment. I always managed to get plenty of foot patrolling in NI with whoever I was with.
  3. Cheers, interesting info. Can one opt to work in one setting as opposed to another?
  4. At a guess, you are asking about assignment choices rather than what happens once you get there? In that respect, you put in a Posting Preference Proforma (PPP) and it is taken into consideration at the appointments board. However, for nearly all Private Soldiers leaving DMSTG, there is a requirement to backfill the units next on deployment.

This will normally mean a Field Hospital or in the main, a Medical Regiment.

PM me if you want to be more specific.

5. I think I'm being ambiguous. I was wondering what happens after passing the various phases of CMT training after basic, because I'd assumed that CMTs trained to class 1 would be more likely to be doing "frontline" work as opposed to an inexperienced CMT fresh out of training.
  6. CMTs leaving DMSTG are Class 2 initially then after a period in a Field Unit (9 months +) they can apply to take their Class 1 (subject to having completed the on-line test and the specific areas from their CCE). They then return to their unit after the Class 1 and continue as before, but with the caveat that they can be left on their own in many circumstances.

You sound like you are considering it as a career? Top tip, get as many GCSEs' as possible.

7. Yes, I've been very interested in it for some time. My predicted grades are very high, but I suspect my results will tell a rather different story. Is there much competition now? I noticed that a lot of army ads online and on tv, I interpreted that as a shortage...
  8. Plenty of competition. You have to pass selection to get into the Army. If you pass you are given a grade (A-D). The grade A's get loaded first followed by the B's etc. Point being, if you score badly you may well have a pass but you may never get allocated a training place.

The secret to a good pass is decent GTI, good basic skills (lit & num), a good level of fitness, job knowledge, sociability and most importantly the right attitude.

Go and see your careers office.