Choice of ARRSE alias

Discussion in 'Officers' started by YeoTanky, Oct 1, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is it that so many Officers choose nicknames that give away thier officer status?

Is this a sign of lack of confidence or is it a secret fear of being abused by ORs?

2. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I am abused by ORs on a daily basis!!

Straight answer is, i didn't look at it that way, it was just a twist on a common term for officers. In any case, rank is an irrelevance on the board it's the quality of argument that stands out, and you don't have to be an officer to make a quality argument. If an OR wants to take issue with anything I have to say, and does so intelligently, then I will defend it. If someone has a perspective that differs from mine, regardless of their rank, and I can learn from it then i will.

3. Good point Yeo!  

It is obviously because they want to preserve some kind of hierarchy.....!  ;)

Plus, Woo knows the ladies love a rupert...  esp if they are called Annabel or Isabella.. or.. etc etce

4. Woopert

are you totally bereft of a sense of humour?

5. I say, Woopert,

Calm my good man!   Pistols at dawn maybe?

6. Too many chips on too many shoulders.  Yeo, what does it matter?  Don't you have better things to do that to think up utterly inane topics such as this (I clearly do not).

7. Maybe it’s a double bluff and toms are using rupert alias’ in order to gain access to the officers mess thread to discover what goes on in there.

Or maybe it's just a larf

8. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

YeoTanky,

You make the assumption that officers are the ones with those nicks.  You also make the assumptions that there is a confidence issue in place and that there is a possible fear of OR abuse.

Could it be that the person registering finds an amusing nick that they are comfortable with and that they identify with?  Or are you also going to assume that officers take a commission so that they can hide behind a rank because competing with soldiers is something that they don't think that they'd be comfortable with?

I'm assuming that you are a R SIGNALS Yeoman in an Armd HQ?  Or is assuming something about someone else's nick not necessarily going to be accurate?

9. CGS - YeoTanky is, I beleive, with a Yeomanry unit - TA Tankies.

10. Oh crapola, does that mean someone might guess where i'm from?  Is it too late for a double bluff??  Really folks, what an inane thread, has to be a tom that started this one.  Lets get back to the bitchin, slagging, fighting, and whingeing.  All qualities every professional soldier should have!! ;D ;D

11. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

Well said Foggy!

This is not the place to come to to pick a fight with Officers, YeoTanky!

And Gas,

Re-read my last msg and spot the use of irony!

12. CGS:  I think the battery must have gone in my Irony Spotter.  

Actually it is one of the penalties of speed reading whilst at work when the boss has popped out of the office.

13. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

You too eh?

Lucky thing is, I AM the boss!

PS,

Looks like your Spell Chicker needs its batteries looking at.

14. Yeah my irons all spotty too should really switch it on more.

15. Whats an iron??