Chocolate with meat?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vvaannmmaann, Jan 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was looking at recipes for shoulder of venison.One suggested adding 4oz of 70% chocolate to enhance the flavour.
    I have seen this before but never tried it.Does it actually work?
  2. Chocolate with meat? Whoever wrote that particular recipe was without any doubt whatsoever a woman!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It works with the meat rolled in French 1848 dark chocolate powder!
  4. Never used it with joints of meat before but have with chilli. How do you add it, in stock or rub it in?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. No idea.It just says add 4oz of dark chocolate!
  6. And a septic one at that!
  7. I have a recipe which involves nutella and my meat...

You can also add sprinkles if you want to mix it up a bit.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Add a wee bit of dark chocolate to your gravy. Makes it rich and luscious.
  9. Fixed
    • Like Like x 4
  10. You know it too?
  11. It does work. I have used dark chocolate in beef, venison and chilli dishes. It gives it a rich, deep flavour not quite of chocolate.

12. I ate venison in a 2 Michelin starred restaurant last weekend. They shaved some dark chocolate on top, it was lovely.
  13. Works 100%, here is the recipe:

200ml red wine
    100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids minimum), melted

• Pour the wine into a small saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
    • Stir in the melted chocolate until well combined, then blend with a hand blender until frothy.
    • Pour into a gravy dish and serve immediately.

Et voila
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Indeed and also gives the sauce a really dark glossy look.

But has to be pukka dark chocolate, none of your namby pampy limp wristed yellow belly lilly livered wussy boy 70% stuff either: 85% or 90% is OK but if available Lindt Excellence 99% is the weapon of choice for venison and garnishing meat dishes.

You do not need a lot, which is fine because it comes in very thin bars and you can eat the rest without guilt or shame

EXCELLENCE 99% > EXCELLENCE > Products > Lindt & Sprüngli, Maître chocolatier suisse depuis 1845