Chocolate with meat?

I was looking at recipes for shoulder of venison.One suggested adding 4oz of 70% chocolate to enhance the flavour.
I have seen this before but never tried it.Does it actually work?

Chocolate with meat? Whoever wrote that particular recipe was without any doubt whatsoever a woman!

Never used it with joints of meat before but have with chilli. How do you add it, in stock or rub it in?

I have a recipe which involves nutella and my meat...

You can also add sprinkles if you want to mix it up a bit.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Add a wee bit of dark chocolate to your gravy. Makes it rich and luscious.

It does work. I have used dark chocolate in beef, venison and chilli dishes. It gives it a rich, deep flavour not quite of chocolate.

Q.

P

PrinceAlbert

I was looking at recipes for shoulder of venison.One suggested adding 4oz of 70% chocolate to enhance the flavour.
I ate venison in a 2 Michelin starred restaurant last weekend. They shaved some dark chocolate on top, it was lovely.

Works 100%, here is the recipe:

Ingredients
200ml red wine
100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids minimum), melted
Preparation

• Pour the wine into a small saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
  • Stir in the melted chocolate until well combined, then blend with a hand blender until frothy.
  • Pour into a gravy dish and serve immediately.

Et voila
Emsav

It does work. I have used dark chocolate in beef, venison and chilli dishes. It gives it a rich, deep flavour not quite of chocolate.

Q.
Indeed and also gives the sauce a really dark glossy look.

But has to be pukka dark chocolate, none of your namby pampy limp wristed yellow belly lilly livered wussy boy 70% stuff either: 85% or 90% is OK but if available Lindt Excellence 99% is the weapon of choice for venison and garnishing meat dishes.

You do not need a lot, which is fine because it comes in very thin bars and you can eat the rest without guilt or shame

EXCELLENCE 99% > EXCELLENCE > Products > Lindt & Sprüngli, Maître chocolatier suisse depuis 1845

My local restaurant in Catalunya does a wonderful prawn and chicken dish which includes chocolate. You don't taste it as such, but it makes the sauce richer and smoother.

The mexicans are mad for chicken with chocolate sauce. It's quite a bitter chocolate though and to be honest a bit bland.

Waitrose have a range of dark chocolate blocks of varying %. I think they come from the bloke who started a chocolate factory as seen on TV, 'Willie's wonky chocolate factory' or somesuch.