Chiyonofuji Misugu: 'The Wolf'. Legendary Sumo champion...

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Steven_McLaughlin, Aug 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody remember this guy?

Chiyonofuji Mitsugu, aka ‘The Wolf’ was a legendary Sumo Grand champion from back in the 1980s. And for anybody expecting a morbidly obese lump of jelly then don’t kid yourselves: this guy was close to 20stones of rock-solid, marble-like, natural muscle, could move like lightening and barely had a gut on him. If Chiyonofuji was around today he’d be training, and most likely winning, in the UFC. He was that strong he could pick up a guy almost twice his size and dump him on his backside in about two seconds flat; if he could avoid the punches then Mike Tyson would have been swatted to the floor like a gnat. As for Brock Lesnar; now there’s a fight I’d loved to have seen if the Wolf had worked on his ground game and trained in Ji Jitsu…

I was reminded of him quite randomly today because an Arrse poster has an avatar of him. If you’re over 35 like me and grew up in the 80s then there’s a good chance you’ll remember him from the excellent C4 Sumo series that was a big hit in its day.

Chiyonofuji Mitsugu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Yep, he was the main man when Channel 4 started showing the Basho's from Japan.

Awesome.

3. Yeah, I remember him. He was a true Yokozuna, a Grand Champion. The Wolf was to Sumo what Ali was to Boxing; he defined the sport.

4. WW!!!???

And yet you've just been stropping about the evil Japanese on another thread?

Come on man!

Oops - sorry WW, this isn't the Naafi Bar - i was trying for a bite mate. :eye:

5. You're gonna need a bigger boat...

6. Aye, just when you thought it was safe to have a dip doon Portybelly...