Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chivalry and Knights

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Like a lot of people, I presume, I do get irritated when a sportsman or actor gets knighted in the new Year Honours List. Not that I am an avid reader of that list, however famous persons do pop up in the media, pretending to be humble, but you can tell that they are all gloaty and can't wait to get down to the stationers for the embossed letterheads.

I was always under the impression that Knights (of ye olde) were chivalrous warriors and expert horsemen who protected the weak and poor, they were trained from a young age and were pretty cool individuals.

Anyway, I chanced upon this article, offering up eight examples of the great and good and was surprised to learn that both William Wallace and Robert the Bruce were Knights. Every day is school day.

Linky Toughest Knights

I realise that there a couple of threads dedicated to books and previews of books regarding Knights and Chivalry, but has anybody else got stories of Knights derring 'do and I dont mean whizzing around a race track or being a bit good at acting?

William Marshal is mentioned in that article, well from a time of yore, when men were men, small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri and the BBC did decent historical documentaries (in this case Timewatch):

The most memorable bit to me was him getting smacked in a fight, CASEVAC'd leaping up charging back into said fight with one of his squires chasing him yelling 'Sire, Thou hast forgotten yon safety hat!'

I was always under the impression that Knights (of ye olde) were chivalrous warriors and expert horsemen who protected the weak and poor, they were trained from a young age and were pretty cool individuals.

Anyway, I chanced upon this article, offering up eight examples of the great and good and was surprised to learn that both William Wallace and Robert the Bruce were Knights. Every day is school day.

And why, other than cultural bias, would you be surprised that two Scots, one of whom was made protector and the other a nobleman and eventually anointed as King, would be ennobled as knights?

A English knight decided to challenge a Scottish knight at one on one horse mounted fighting

the English knight was cleaved openby the Scottish knights chopper
in honour the Scots raised a monument to the knight that shows him mounted with his chopper aloft

For some reason the English knights were unable to win the battle that
day.

I don't think Joan of Arc was knighted. Happy to be corrected.
She was torched wasn’t she

A English knight decided to challenge a Scottish knight at one on one horse mounted fighting

the English knight was cleaved openby the Scottish knights chopper

That great Englishman, Henri de Bohun.

What was the requirement for being a Knight again... wasn't it something like Annual income of over £40? Time to buy a sword everyone!

What was the requirement for being a Knight again... wasn't it something like Annual income of over £40? Time to buy a sword everyone!

And provide a retinue of men-at-arms.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
And why, other than cultural bias, would you be surprised that two Scots, one of whom was made protector and the other a nobleman and eventually anointed as King, would be ennobled as knights?
Because, I am ashamed to say, despite having a mother from Glasgow, that my knowledge of those characters is from crap films and not history books.

Because, I am ashamed to say, despite having a mother from Glasgow, that my knowledge of those characters is from crap films and not history books.

Another Toom Tabard.:(

I think she was a Knights Templer, but actually a Knight.

I am afraid so.

Oh FFS, Jean D'Arc was a century after Jacques De Molay was put to the torch. You're now going into tinfoil conspiracy territory.

Last edited:
Like a lot of people, I presume, I do get irritated when a sportsman or actor gets knighted in the new Year Honours List. Not that I am an avid reader of that list, however famous persons do pop up in the media, pretending to be humble, but you can tell that they are all gloaty and can't wait to get down to the stationers for the embossed letterheads.

Linky Toughest Knights

I realise that there a couple of threads dedicated to books and previews of books regarding Knights and Chivalry, but has anybody else got stories of Knights derring 'do and I dont mean whizzing around a race track or being a bit good at acting?
Edward of Woodstock aka ‘the Black Prince’. Crecy and Poitiers where the King of France was captured. Founder (with other Knights) of the Order of the Garter. His insignia of three Ostrich plumes and ‘ich dien’. Can’t believe he’s not on your list (the one you reference) personally:
1613838070356.jpeg