Chirac Disses W?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Feb 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From a leading, and copiously illustrated, newspaper:

IRAQ war wobbler Jacques Chirac scuttled George Bush’s fence-mending trip to Europe yesterday — by cranking up a row over the future of Nato.

He embraced a German-led plot to ditch the alliance as the backbone of transatlantic relations, in favour of the European Union.

He also snubbed President Bush by speaking French at a dinner, despite having fluent English.

"Chirac Snub To Bush"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005083136,00.html

This after W generously offers to restore France to his good graces. Just goes to show you: some people don't know the meaning of gratitude.

2. Jack@ss ChIraq will sooner then later find out what Texas hold 'em means. ChIraq is a mealy mouthed backstabing SOB, as are most of the frogs...worst thing the US did was save that country from the Nazis :oops:

3. Nato without the Yanks.
    Try justifing that to Euro taxpayers.
    It seems to me the Frog still has grand designs on being a world leadering nation, if so then whats all this Euro cr ap about, they are just one of 25? states with one vote and a big Gob.
    john

4. The EU is about France and Germany, that is all, they started it for themselves and an opportunity to screw the rest of us, especially us Anglo-Saxons :evil: .

They will try to bully everybody else into doing their bidding if this constitution comes into force and then we, the UK will be at the beck and call of the french fcukers and german t@ssers, our opinions will not matter and our country will be mercilessly raped by these 2 nations, what they couldn't do by military power, politics and our own weak willed politicians will do it for them.

EU-waste of time and money. If the yes vote is adopted, I am off...anywhere that will have me and the ashes of my Llama :wink:

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I am not sure if this means that some Americans do, in fact, appreciate irony, or that NWD has forgotten to take his medication again.

The Scum should be described as a copiously illustrated 'newspaper', which is the subject of a boycott by ARRSE.

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...dang...till I looked at the hyperlink I thought he was referring to the National Enquirer.

easy money, frog-bashing....that wicked Frenchy Chirac, how DARE he use his own language in his own country addressing a group of people who may or may not be amongst the 140 million members of la francophonie

Imagine Dubya's horror at visiting Achafalaya County in his neighbouring state of Louisiana - where the majority of righteous patriots speak...er... French as their native tongue...... :lol:

<< Armez-vous les citoyens!>>

Le Chevre

7. They don't have to . There is a sh*tload of film about that tells the story.

8. covered in a previous thread andy, but good find anyway.

A_S

9. :roll:

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

China maintains its 'favoured nation' status as a US trading partner.

The reality is that the two economies are so inextricably entwined that neither country ( Nuclear winter and millions of dead people apart) could AFFORD to go to war with each other - IMHO, this is a good thing.

The USA has a ho-o-o-o-o-oge trading deficit with China.
    (I seem to recall Mister President Elect Kerry banging this drum in his recent failed attempt to squirm into the Oval Office)

Cute example: one of the flagpole all-American companies, IBM, recently sold its PC operation into Chinese ownership.

One of the things that vexes the current US administration about their 'friends and allies' is the increasing impatience in France,Germany and to some extent the UK with the arms sanctions imposed on China in 1989.

Legitimate civil sales get stymied by the old dual-use technology issue.

Cute example: Rolls Royce Tyne/Olympus engines have a legitimate shore based use in power stations, but can also be used in frigates/destroyers.

Rolls' US competitor Westinghouse would rather they could NOT be sold in China.

Basically, Europe wants to ditch the embargo , USA says it should stay.

Why?

Because, apart from military considerations, the USA historically backed nationalist Taiwan against Mao. Ditching the arms embargo would send the wrong signal to Taiwan and threaten US interests.

Check out the NeoCon stance on US/China relations at
    http://www.newamericancentury.org/china-20040901.htm

Le Chevre

11. If you think back a couple of years ago, you would find France doing pretty similar things as now. The country was different, but the principle was the same - anything that annoys US and makes money is worth doing. The country was Iraq, whom France was selling arms to, not to mention breaking the UN (whom France purported to support throughout the Iraq crisis) led Oil for Food programme.

Why the US has not made an issue of this is beyond me. It would prove beyond reasonable doubt that France is as unprincipled a democracy as you could imagine. On the one hand demanding US foreign policy conform to UN wishes and principles (ie do nothing, unless it is corrupt, in which case do it twice!) and on the other, breaking UN sanctions on Iraq for the benefit of both France and Saddam, but most certainly not the people or Iraq, whom France claims to be representing when obstructing US/UK in the UN security council. You couldn't make it up!

Then, as now, France claimed to be acting on principle. Then, as now, that was absolute codswallop! It is all about France making money and doing something, anything, that will pi55 US generally, and George W especially, mightily off!

The idea of democratic countries selling high tech weaponry to China, a fundamentally undemocratic nation, is one that is so mind bogglingly stupid, that only France and Germany could come up with it. It comes as no surprise to me that the government onside with EU on this. (They, after all, are congenitally stupid as well!)

Frances failure (or possibly refusal) to recognise how this could alter the strategic balance in the region, with the increased potential for conflict in what is possibly the second most important area of the world economy, proves either how stupid or how selfish they are, (probably both) and how little regard they have for the development of democracy in the region.

Quite frankly, anything France proposes ought to be viewed with maximum suspicion and examined in the minutest detail before being backed by the government. That, of course will not happen, because this government is so a: spineless and b: wanting even better paid jobs in EU than they have now.

Due-lai - you are right. This government would sell the country to EU in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. In the upcoming referendums vote no - to the euro and the constitution. They are simply trying to take by duplicity that they could not take by force - do not trust anyone who says other wise!

If they do get one, the other or both in (which I have to say I find highly unlikely!), then I too will be leaving these shores as soon as I am able. If we are going to be a part of the EU, then I want to live in a part of that is warmer with an easier pace of life!

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

erm....yes...no....maybe....

1. in 1970's US sold F14's and Chinooks to Iran - to keep the Shah onside.

2. In 1980's US sold Hawk missiles to ...er...Iran. To keep the Mullahs talking and finance a Right wing insurgency to topple the democratically elected but anti-US gubmint in Nicaragua.

3. in 1990's US sold F15 Eagles to Saudi, F16's to the miltary government of Zia Al Huq in Pakistan and GAVE ex USN frigates to just about anyone who would take them.

4. Her Majesty's Gubmint is proud to record that 20% of all Arms sales worldwide are...yes...you've guessed it ....British.
    Despite having probably the most stringent Foreign Arms Sales export licensing anywhere in the world, I have my doubts that the majority of our sales went to what we in UK would recognise as << fundamentally democratic>> nations.

As a one-time DESO hand, I'm quite happy that it should be so....'cos that means that there are 100,000+ jobs that are paying people in Newcastle, Preston, Birmingham, Yeovilton and Kingston Upon Thames that would otherwise be enriching some eager wheeler-dealers in

Toulouse
    Seattle
    Marietta, GA
    Scottsdale,Az
    Gdansk
    Krasnoyarsk
    Tel Aviv
    Qingdao
    Karachi
    Singapore
    Sao Paulo

( insert name of foreign Arms manufacturing plant here)
    etc etc

To say that any country has a moral arms policy is a bit of a contradiction in terms. You either sell weapons or you don't.

A moral policy on Arms sales is like being..ahem...
    " a little bit pregnant " or " slightly dead ". 8)

The French (WOCAB) will cheerfully admit that their foreign policy is guided by self interest......are the Americans (or we) so different ?

Glasshouse? Stone? Moi ?

Lee Shaver

13. I am so proud of my German home country that they voted against the war and that they are speaking up against some political actions of the Bush-government.

We Germans have learnt to question the decisions of political authorities and anyone else who thinks differently about this issue hasn't learnt anything from history!!