"Chippy" Where the word comes from/really means?

It has been bothering me for a while that I can't work out where the word "Chippy" as in "he's a chippy f*cker" came from. The army's had a great wealth of foreign words (Indian/M. E origin) in its vocabulary but I can't for the life of me work out where the use of "chippy" comes from.

Any ideas fellas?

Nothing so complicated, it's just a contraction of "he's got a chip on his shoulder".

Doesn't say much for carpenters though does it? Not fair on them. Bet they've been called Chippies longer than people with chips on their shoulders. A friend of a friend at a party once said he'd do an impression of some of the moody locals and went into the kitchen for a while. Came out 5 mins later with a frozen chip taped to each shoulder. Very funny at the time.
So they had balanced views then - albeit negative ones?

It was used in the Guards to denote county regiments or Corps or anyone else who wasn't Guards as in Fish 'N' Chip eaters rather than the Foie Gras served everyday in a guards OR mess, along with the freshly caught and killed fish and game obviously.:puker::puker::puker:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lfc2001 Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 8
X The Intelligence Cell 14
owee OTC and ACF 0