Chippy or Fitter gen?

I'm currently in a holding troop between phase 2a and 2b training.

I've just found out I was "missed" off the loading for my C&J course for a some reason that will probably forever remain a mystery.. so now I have 2 options.

Remain in a holding troop for 3 months until the next C&J intake (no thanks)

or

Retrade to what I've been offered. Based on my quals (A levels and foundation degree) I've been told to commission (not for me) or offered draughtsman (boring deskjob?), survey (doesnt seem hands on enough), CMT (nahh) or fitter gen (always been interested in mechanics).

Everyone I talk to of any rank says you don't touch chippy after training which is making me lean towards fitter, but I've also heard fitters just become over qualified drivers because they get all their licenses. I was looking forward to starting up a civi chippy business when I leave but it sounds like by the time I leave I will have done so little of it, it'll be hard to keep up with civi chippies anyway.

Any opinions appreciated.. Have spent years deciding on a trade and now I have a matter of days to re-decide. Now I've been offered fitter it actually seems like quite a good alternative to stagnating for 3 months?

Take fitter and run with it.

Three months doesn't seem long in the scheme of things ?
3 months in talavera Troop (or whatever its called now) - No thanks. Fitter is a trade he will use (and it comes with lots of driving licenses) . Chippy - not so much.

Have spent years deciding on a trade and now I have a matter of days to re-decide.
Dude!...bide your time until a G6 comes up. With knowledge of a lower spline boom, and a left hand meedle valve under your belt, you're laughing gravy.

Either that or sit tight even more, until Graphene tech kicks in. Gnomesayin?

Three months doesn't seem long in the scheme of things ?
If it was a trade I wasn't interested in I wouldn't be considering it because you're right, I think I could manage a hold of 3 months (despite the horror stories of tv troop) but fitter is actually quite appealing which makes it a worthwhile consideration.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
If it was a trade I wasn't interested in I wouldn't be considering it because you're right, I think I could manage a hold of 3 months (despite the horror stories of tv troop) but fitter is actually quite appealing which makes it a worthwhile consideration.
Fair enough, how long would you have to wait for that one?

Your opinion is the most important and you've already said which you'd prefer. Three months is nothing at your stage (can you do anything else with that time) and if you pass up the opportunity now, is that chippy business gone forever? That said, you may end up in another post and not ever pick up a saw and the fitter thing is a great job and opens up so many doors.

Your call. Good luck.

3 months seems a life time now but in 20 years time it will be a blip, a long summer, a short tour.

Deciding your future on what bores you now is not a sensible option.

What did you join to do?

Is it worth throwing all that away because you can't wait 90 days?