• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Chip bag hats!

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
I was a bit surprised to see the piccie on the right of this link with Air Marshall Sir Blenkinsop Thrungerpump-Olea wearing a Chip Bag Hat in 95s.

What is the future for cost savings here? Is Gordon Brown (praise be upon him and his calculator waving gnomes) getting his own way? Will we see the 1st Foot & Mouth outside Betty's remodelled semi detached in Braintree (built under PFI) with dead bears on their heads and a set of 95s?

They wear cnut caps with 95's on this base. It looks t0ss but then it goes with the un-ironed kit and the in-ability to salute properly.

On a slightly different note has anyone else noticed that RAF officers have the initials RAF after their name (like a qualification) but the Navy and Army don't.

Anyone know why?

Barcode Battlers. Huh, dontcha just luvvem?
This fella can't have been made to wear in bearing in mind the width of his barcode....he chose to. Don't they have mirrors in the RAF (WHAT AM I SAYING!!!)

StabTiffy2B said:
They wear cnut caps with 95's on this base. It looks t0ss but then it goes with the un-ironed kit and the in-ability to salute properly.

On a slightly different note has anyone else noticed that RAF officers have the initials RAF after their name (like a qualification) but the Navy and Army don't.

Anyone know why?
Navy officers can and do put RN after their name, and Army officers put their Corps / Regiment after their name.

Mighty_Blighty said:
StabTiffy2B said:

Anyone know why?
Navy officers can and do put RN after their name, and Army officers put their Corps / Regiment after their name.
Fair enough. Is it an officer only thing?

StabTiffy2B said:
Mighty_Blighty said:
StabTiffy2B said:

Anyone know why?
It's supposed to b, although I have seen it a few times with ORs.

I work on a Tri Service base and half the fellas make the camp look like a Walt re-enactment meeting. CS95 is working dress for all 3 services and the Navy especially make it look so so bad.

StabTiffy2B said:
Mighty_Blighty said:
StabTiffy2B said:

Anyone know why?
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

C

cloudbuster

Perhaps the chief reason RAF Officers choose to wear the chip-bag (there was quite a bun-fight over on Pprune about them, BTW) is that the SD peaked cap is too bulky to stuff in a nav-bag, and a beret makes them look like RAF Regiment.

the_guru said:
I work on a Tri Service base and half the fellas make the camp look like a Walt re-enactment meeting. CS95 is working dress for all 3 services and the Navy especially make it look so so bad.
I can't deny most matelots look sh1t in it. Not built for overweight stokers though.

There was an Admiral at Northwood who used to wear his cap with his 95 on the grounds that when the navy produced an admiral beret badge he would wear a beret.

Looked a mong though.

edited for admiral mong spelling

IIRC Shirt Sleeve order terminates at 1800hrs anyway, so irrespective of time of year, those sleeves come down with the flag. BJ's do have their own way of doing things and if you gripped them for stuff like that, they would probably go on strike. CS95 is a uniform. Uniform means "all the same"

As far as I can remember the Crabs kept the Side cap from their old WW1 Army days when the nos 4 Regiment (Air Balloon) Royal Engineers used to wear it as work dress head wear. Nos 4 Sqn RAF is known as the Army Squadron " the 4th will always be first" as it is the Oldest.

The side cap is also worn folded down like a Balaclava, (where the Sappers brought it back from). This was more suitable for the Air crews to keep their ears warm as well as having a short peak to protect the eyes and the whole issue was held on with Goggles Biggle style. 8)

I undone a side cap from an RAF DALO a few years ago and when I got my Ransome, he asked if I had undone it, apparently it's really "bad form" to undo it. :roll:

Some our Orifices RE, Bandsmen and Posties used to wear Blue ones with red piping and troosers cease fire, they were the only erses that thought they looked smart :lol:

Mac Spr

Don't the Gunners and some of the TA independant Sigs and Yeomanry units still have them? The RCT had them, and it was a dress tradition not carried on into the RLC.

I had reason to be at Abbey Wood the other week and came across some RAF Type in a fcukin' flying suit wearing a chip bag hat! Excuse was as a "Fast Jet Jockey", it was his working dress! Looked a bit cnutish behind a desk but it gave the rest of the staff someone to talk about! Naturally they nicknamed him "Biggles"!!!

Perhaps the chief reason RAF Officers choose to wear the chip-bag (there was quite a bun-fight over on Pprune about them, BTW) is that the SD peaked cap is too bulky to stuff in a nav-bag, and a beret makes them look like RAF Regiment.
Don't you mean look like Frank Spencer?

The_Aged_Sinner! said:
I had reason to be at Abbey Wood the other week and came across some RAF Type in a fcukin' flying suit wearing a chip bag hat! Excuse was as a "Fast Jet Jockey", it was his working dress! Looked a bit cnutish behind a desk but it gave the rest of the staff someone to talk about! Naturally they nicknamed him "Biggles"!!!
Chip bag is the head dress of choice when wearing flying clothing since, and I'm sorry to have to inform all you AAC types/air dispatchers and any other pongo who might get to Walt around in a growbag- berets look as shite with a growbag as a chip bag does with CS95. Why the hell he had his hat on while sat behind his desk is a little bemusing. I can understand him being stood on the other side doing an axminster shuffle- but sat down?

With regards to the standard of dress of His Air-Ship, he was probably caught a bit off-guard and was more than a little alarmed to find himself in a place where DPM was necessary. This is an entirely natural phenomenon for any aircrew-type, but the impact is doubled when he has to look for somewhere to hang a light blue star plate on an olive drab Landrover.

Latest Threads