Chinook crash could have been caused by software problems

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Jan 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The MOD telling the truth, ha,ha,ha,ha get real

2. Damn right! Not sure what happened? Blame the driver! :evil:
    Yes, I am mad at them and yes, I do have personal experience!

3. It was sad enough as an event, without the pitiful concerted CYA at the MoD/DPA which resulted in the defamation of the aircrew.

4. Yep. Rifkind was pretty scathing on TV this morning. Nice that he pointed the finger at MoD and 'Air-marshalls'. Who did he have in mind, I wonder?

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The Chinooks regulary used to fly over my house on the way out to the mainland,the Aircrew were used as scapegoats by gutless politico's & officers to afraid to admit the truth.A work collegues brother was killed in that crash.

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

My understanding is that the original BoI did NOT blame the pilots but was overruled at a higher level. I have been led to believe that that higher level was the same one that originally insisted the a/c was flyable. I have also been led to understand that in fact it was against RAF regulations to blame the dead pilots in this case.

I would be grateful for correction from any knowledgable person closer to the case.

7. Blame for the crash aside, whoever let 25 top intelligence experts travel on the same Chinook, in bad weather, needs a good kicking.

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

9. Considering the time that has passed, I would have expected a more definitive outcome. Expressions such as "may have" or "could have" shouldn't now be in any sentence when describing this awfull tragedy.
    God, 29 lives sacrificed to protect a commercial relationship. The best that the RAF can come up with is to blame the crew. I hope the ones who sat on that board of decision making can look at themselves in the shaving mirror.

10. Do they actually shave?

11. Computer Weekly have followed this for the last 15 years, and have authored several detailed reports. Below is an excerpt from their latest comment. There is also a link at the bottom of this post, to the report published by CW back in 1999.

webpage

For anyone who wants to read the CW report published in 1999 - click here.

12. There was strong suspicion, after the crash, that many of those on board were making calls with their mobiles at one time, sending out a stream of signals that could have interfered with the on-board avionics....was this view ever investigated?

13. This is an extremely unfortunate event to have occured and whilst I'm sure its not particularly relevant, why does it take 15 years for something like this to come to light?

14. They must have had fecking good ears to listen to someone on a mobile in the back of a chinook.