Chinese wine?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vvaannmmaann, Sep 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Waitrose is now selling Chinese red wine.Anyone tried it?

2. My last experience with it was in Harbin a few years and it was pretty rough. Supposedly, some vineyards have been taking on experienced French and Latin American managers so you never know your luck these days.

Some of the best grapes I've ever had were from Xinjiang, so it's not as if the raw material isn't there. If you give it a bash, will you let us know how you get on?

3. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

well Chinese wine is ok but once you finish a bottle , ten minutes later you want another .

• Like Like x 1
  4. In fairness, that's how I feel about wine from pretty much any country.

5. I have always found Chinese wine to be of good quality. The French had a hand in helping them start off and as long as you buy a bottle at a reasonable price it should be OK.

6. About 15 years ago I was told by someone in the drinks trade who regularly visited China that Chinese wine would one day dominate. He said that the Chinese had more vineyards than the rest of the world put together. The big issue back then was quality control. He predicted that once they had experienced Western wine producers working with them on quality control, they would really take off.

7. I think the OP is just getting Saki :thumright:
    No that isn't my cab, I'm walking :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. They have a very long way to go

http://www.wineinstitute.org/files/2010_World_Wine_Production_by_Country.pdf

9. My local take away gave me a bottle once , sickly sweet shite , bit like sherry (not that Ive ever drank sherry)

10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

If it's owt like the bottle I once tried in our local Chinese restaurant, I'd avoid it like the plague or at least already be very, very drunk on something else first.

11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have a bottle of Bulgarian red that one of the wife's Bulgarian work colleagues gave us.

Any experience on Bulgarian rouge? I've googled the stuff and our bottle appears to range in price between 3 and 40 euros depending on where you look.

12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Ravers, it was the 'up and coming' about 20 years ago - dirt-cheap, which belied its quality (Victoria Wine was doing it at about £2.99 a bottle). Some of it is very passable indeed.

(Of course, now I've said that the one you've got is going to be shit, isn't it...)

13. Ravers

Jolly good, I'll give it a try when I don't have anything important to do the following day.

Tonight would work actually.

14. I received a bottle of Bulgarian red as freebee from a firm, Thought that was a bit of a bummer as the previous year it was a bottle of whisky but with the recession it was better than nought. On opening it I was very pleasantly surprised excellent wine. quaff away mate :wave:

15. Ravers

Just opened it now. It's called Terra Tangra, it's a 2006. Seems alright, pretty heavy, very full bodied and dark, hints of cherry, chocolate and oak......pah, who am I kidding? It tastes like red wine.

Cool metal label though.

Attached Files: