Chinese Warship Visits Japan

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Chief_Joseph, Jan 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They've also been getting on slightly better on the political front. The two PMs met in Beijing last month and proclaimed 'Spring has come' in relations between the two nations. Personally, I believe one swallow does not a summer make, but any reduction in tension is a good thing.

Every bit as interesting is the results of the last Taiwanese elections - a landslide victory for the KMT at the expense of pro-independence DPP. This despite Beijing's levering international recognition away from Taipei.
  2. Good news then, and hopefully this will be a step towards better relations between the two. Not only that, but it's in their mutual interests to have a cohesive joint policy for what to do when North Korea finally falls reaches some form of end game and either decides to take on the world or implodes.

On the other hand, Japan bashing is a handy political tool in China. The communists will rake over incidents such as the rape of Nanking whenever it suits them. That said, there will probably be a reduction in the rhetoric this year as China will want to put on its friendly face for the Olympics.
  3. True, but lets hope this is long term. Let's also hope the Japanese conservatives tone down the "Chinese Menace" rants as well
  4. The proof of the pudding will be whether the police will as usual stand back next time some bunch of hotheads in Nanking crack off. It's the 70th anniversary of the Rape at the moment. I suspect a lot of China-based Japanese have found reason to visit home round about now.

Edited to add: which makes the timing of this visit all the more interesting.
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps if Japan would come clean about the Rape of Nanking and not hide it from its own history books, that would be a start. Of course it would be a shock to modern Japs to discover how vile their grandfathers were.
  6. 100 per cent behind you on that seaweed.
  7. The Japs topped my uncle in Burmah, that is why I stick potatoes up the exhaust of my neighbours Nissan! Bloody mindedness you may say, but at least I admit it!
  8. Why a warship to visit? Is there some undertone to this?

I also agree about Japanese atrocities, not only in China but Korea as well.
  9. That's what I was wondering. The CPC is very adept at sending 'messages' to the Chinese people. I thought perhaps it was deliberate that a warship was sent and they chose this time to send it. Sort of like saying to John Zhongguo, "See, we can do this any time we like - don't worry about Japan." Kind of a symbolic reprisal.

It would certainly fit that now that they're trying to thaw relations, the Chinese Government is also trying to reshape public opinion.
  10. You may be onto something smartascarrots. The Chinese do like sending non-verbal messages of this type. I'm speculating of course, but they may well have one eye on Taiwan as well - subtle intimidation of the sort that advertisies the growing blue water capability of their navy to the 'renegade province'.
  11. Not so sure about the Taiwan one. The recent Taiwanese elections were, as I said, a landslide for the 'One-China' nationalists and a thorough drubbing for the pro-independence lot. Beijing's smart enough to know that attempting stron-arm tactics at the wrong time would risk screwing the pooch and delivering an avoidable victory to the DPP. My nose tells me this was aimed at the domestic audience.
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor