Chinese, Russian Troops Stage Landings

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RCSignals, Aug 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. I never realised that Map symbols were actually drawn to scale on the ground.... :?
  3. Buried your head in the sand unwilling to acknowledge your belligerent stance in the CIS has contributed to this you mean.
  4. It could be translated from political English as:

We see them as a threat but we can't do anything with it.

If mr.Rumsfeld really meant what he has said then we whould have heard something like this:

We wholeheartedly support objectives and hope to take part in the future.
  5. except for this part

If 'the West' had put the effort, trade and money into Russia after the fall of the USSR, instead of China, things may be quite different.
    Now we have Russia joining with a newly wealthy China.
  6. We did , we created an awful lot of millionaires and not a lot else. Difficult to invest in a country where "Businessmen" would rather steal it than look for a return on an investment.
  7. Sure, McDonalds set up there. We did not put the kind of effort into Russia that has been put into China.
    Businessmen in China aren't exactly lilly white!
  8. I agree with one (very important) point. The West hasn't done much to make Russia part of the West (however culturally and historically Russia is potentially more natural part of the West than Japan).

Russia and China are not 'big friends', rather partners. China is an important market for Russian weapons. So these war-games are in fact big ad, nothing above it I believe.

If the West really wants to see Russia as a part of the West then it should open own markets for Russian weapns (some of them are not bad).

As to Taiwan, then with or without Russia (of course without), later or sooner China will establish control over the island. 10, 20, even 50 years is not a big term for China. China is waiting a right moment.
  9. Russian Industry has more to offer than just weapons. It's capable of producing anything China does now.
  10. :lol:
  11. I hope we go back to the Cold War again..........oh, the postings!