Chinese prime minister begins key trip to Japan.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Nehustan, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Just caught this on the news, excellent stuff. Too long have people with more in common than apart been in forms of opposition that suit other people's national interest and control in the region...

...I just wonder if they discussed Joshu :twisted:
  2. Well, there's generally no antipathy between individuals and some genuine admiration from the Chinese to Japanese achievements. It's just that recent history is still in living memory and the Japs haven't been too forthcoming with the old contrition.

If they can start to make genuine amends, they'll do their standing around the Far East a deal of good, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The recent moves to amend the Japanese constitution to allow for overseas deployment of combat troops is bound to have made China, Taiwan, Korea, et al. sit up sharply. Coupled with conservative attempts to airbrush Japanese atrocities out of history textbooks and people can be forgiven for asking if they're serious about learning their lesson.

In any case, this is one visit signifying a slight thawing in political relationships. To paraphrase Gunny Highway, this doesn't mean they'll be taking long hot showers in the wee hours.
  3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well one can hope....and the last line makes it sound like Gunny Highway was suggesting a session of water sports....