Chinese prime minister begins key trip to Japan.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
China and Japan on Wednesday agreed to work out guidelines for a healthy development of their strained ties. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his Chinese counterpart Wen Jiabao met in Tokyo to build a strategic relationship for regional stability and decided upon a bilateral economic dialogue...An accord on energy-sector cooperation was outlined in a statement issued at the ministerial level as part of the summit process. Japan indicated that the accord could result in a transfer of technology to Beijing from Tokyo. The development of the nuclear energy sector in China was also placed within the ambit of this accord.
[align=center]Source[/align]

Prime Minister Wen Jiabao of China began a three-day visit to Japan on Wednesday, in what China and Japan described as an important step forward in repairing diplomatic ties between the two East Asian rivals.

Shortly after Wen's arrival, he and the Japanese prime minister, Shinzo Abe, held talks before issuing a joint statement that promised, in general terms, to increase cooperation in economic, energy, environmental, defense and other matters.

"Both countries support each other's peaceful development and will enhance political trust between the two countries,"
[align=center]Source[/align]

Just caught this on the news, excellent stuff. Too long have people with more in common than apart been in forms of opposition that suit other people's national interest and control in the region...

...I just wonder if they discussed Joshu :twisted:

Well, there's generally no antipathy between individuals and some genuine admiration from the Chinese to Japanese achievements. It's just that recent history is still in living memory and the Japs haven't been too forthcoming with the old contrition.

If they can start to make genuine amends, they'll do their standing around the Far East a deal of good, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The recent moves to amend the Japanese constitution to allow for overseas deployment of combat troops is bound to have made China, Taiwan, Korea, et al. sit up sharply. Coupled with conservative attempts to airbrush Japanese atrocities out of history textbooks and people can be forgiven for asking if they're serious about learning their lesson.

In any case, this is one visit signifying a slight thawing in political relationships. To paraphrase Gunny Highway, this doesn't mean they'll be taking long hot showers in the wee hours.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
smartascarrots said:
Well, there's generally no antipathy between individuals and some genuine admiration from the Chinese to Japanese achievements. It's just that recent history is still in living memory and the Japs haven't been too forthcoming with the old contrition.

If they can start to make genuine amends, they'll do their standing around the Far East a deal of good, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The recent moves to amend the Japanese constitution to allow for overseas deployment of combat troops is bound to have made China, Taiwan, Korea, et al. sit up sharply. Coupled with conservative attempts to airbrush Japanese atrocities out of history textbooks and people can be forgiven for asking if they're serious about learning their lesson.

In any case, this is one visit signifying a slight thawing in political relationships. To paraphrase Gunny Highway, this doesn't mean they'll be taking long hot showers in the wee hours.
Well one can hope....and the last line makes it sound like Gunny Highway was suggesting a session of water sports....