Chinese interested in Djibouti

cymraeg

War Hero
some interestingposts above. what would peoples opinions be ref the biggest threats or challanges we as a country will face in say the next 20 to 50 years and 50 to a 100 years?

do you feel its still worth trying to save or prepare for our grandkids in this country 9r say **** it and spunk it up the wall

B

bokkatankie

Nothing new, China has been buying Africa for some time:

_44229699_africa_china_invest_map416.gif

some interestingposts above. what would peoples opinions be ref the biggest threats or challanges we as a country will face in say the next 20 to 50 years and 50 to a 100 years?

do you feel its still worth trying to save or prepare for our grandkids in this country 9r say **** it and spunk it up the wall
My bold, looking at the way Chinese goods and productivity have been going over the last few decades, I think they will be the number one power in a fairly short time, overshadowing the USA.
A few caveats to that, if they don't get N. Korea under control, the idiots there could provoke a war which could involve the USA at least.. Then of course we've got the festering sore which is the middle east which has great potential for turning really bad and causing global chaos and if it went nuclear who knows what the end game would be?

T

Tinman74

If you Google "What does it mean to be British?", there is a whole plethora of articles and even university courses (Durham) on this. Why are we asking this question in the first place? I don't know if other countries are having such identity crises, i.e. are the Japanese running university courses on what does it mean to be Japanese?!

This business of Britain being a multi-cultural society is nonsense. In any country there is a dominant culture and from it stems the language, laws, mind set, etc. that identifies the people. The other cultures that live in the UK are really minorities and should not have an effect on the dominant culture.
Maybe have a look at those subscribing to the course, nationalities.

If we subscribed to the later part of your statement it would mean that we would then end up in a society broadly similar to the 1920 - 30's in Germany.

I was born in this country, from German and Irish parents, my wife is German born, yet we consider ourselves English.

Many of the cultures that are not first generation inhabitants have enriched our society.

We have far more pressing issues with the bloated welfare state, health service and the "owed a living" culture that has ridden on the back of hard work.

shibusa2

On ROPS
On ROPs

If we subscribed to the later part of your statement it would mean that we would then end up in a society broadly similar to the 1920 - 30's in Germany.

I was born in this country, from German and Irish parents, my wife is German born, yet we consider ourselves English.

Many of the cultures that are not first generation inhabitants have enriched our society.

We have far more pressing issues with the bloated welfare state, health service and the "owed a living" culture that has ridden on the back of hard work.
I was actually referring to some minorities who make too much noise about their rights and want everything their own way, e.g. they are offended by Christmas or want sharia law introduced.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rebranding-christmas-more-public-bodies-are-refusing-to-give-the-festival-its-name-for-fear-of-causing-offence-9923365.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510866/Poll-reveals-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Also, German and Irish culture fall broadly into European culture. Although Europe is by no means homogenous they have far more in common than they do with Pakistan or Afghanistan for example.

L

lumpy2

For what it's worth, I know a Sikh guy locally, in his late fifties, very sociable and articulate and likes a pint in our local. He told me that when his parents came to the UK they worked hard to learn the language, fit in and assimilate. He reckons it's their hard work which has allowed the younger generation today the luxury of indulging their extremist ideas. Food for thought?

T

Tinman74

I was actually referring to some minorities who make too much noise about their rights and want everything their own way, e.g. they are offended by Christmas or want sharia law introduced.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rebranding-christmas-more-public-bodies-are-refusing-to-give-the-festival-its-name-for-fear-of-causing-offence-9923365.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510866/Poll-reveals-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Also, German and Irish culture fall broadly into European culture. Although Europe is by no means homogenous they have far more in common than they do with Pakistan or Afghanistan for example.
What is European culture? I'm English who happens to live in Europe.

I grew up next door to an Indian family, made friends for life. If you hold the standard that you want the "minorities" to subscribe to I'd like the same applied to those that are the "majority".

Your just a racist lite, just look at who has liked your posts.

Fair one - however, the line "we consider ourselves English" says it all. That implies you have identified with the locals.
Theres those who don't/wont do that and insist on NOT identifying with the locals, and that's simply colonisation. IMHO, any bugger can come here with the caveat that he/she understands that its not wherever they came from and living here means adopting our ways and becoming an asset to society.

As a plumber, I've worked for all our "Rainbow Nation" and the Pakistanis in particular, were a dishonest bunch, who never wanted to pay........... and their offspring have a chip on their shoulders, plus THEY don't want to pay, either.......

T

Tinman74

Fair one - however, the line "we consider ourselves English" says it all. That implies you have identified with the locals.
Theres those who don't/wont do that and insist on NOT identifying with the locals, and that's simply colonisation. IMHO, any bugger can come here with the caveat that he/she understands that its not wherever they came from and living here means adopting our ways and becoming an asset to society.
Not adopting our ways, what are our ways?

I speak German in the house, mainly to keep the skill.

L

lumpy2

Angst? at what?
Possibly she's referring to the hand-wringing lefty apologists, who want to "apologise" for slavery, apologise for this that and the other which happened more than two centuries ago. Maybe I'm over-simplifying, but I don't believe the Germans or the Japanese have this phenomenon - perhaps as individuals but not as a nation - they just get on with building a society and a sense of identity.

Not adopting our ways, what are our ways?

I speak German in the house, mainly to keep the skill.
Speaking English in the home for starters :razz:

T

Tinman74

For what it's worth, I know a Sikh guy locally, in his late fifties, very sociable and articulate and likes a pint in our local. He told me that when his parents came to the UK they worked hard to learn the language, fit in and assimilate. He reckons it's their hard work which has allowed the younger generation today the luxury of indulging their extremist ideas. Food for thought?
I know a few people who have kids, who think the same. People tend to look at the easy answer instead of looking at the hard issues.

In that vein, it's government doesn't plan in short cycles like 5 years but perhaps a 100 or more years ahead. Britain does not have a vision of itself in the world now. In Victorian times it had an empire to build, civilization to take to the rest of the world, Christianity to promote but now there is dissolution of the country, following America like a poodle, multiculturism, etc. There is the angst of who or what is Britain and how do you define being British.
Agreed, it all went downhill after QV got shovelled into her bed!

shibusa2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Your just a racist lite, just look at who has liked your posts.
Actually no. I have friends from different races and cultures. I don't equate race with culture. I'm talking about culture here.

I've seen how the older generation from different cultures struggles to cope with 21st century Britain and even come into conflict with their offsprings when they adopt Western ways. If that isn't a cultural clash I don't know what is.

T

Tinman74

Actually no. I have friends from different races and cultures. I don't equate race with culture. I'm talking about culture here.

I've seen how the older generation from different cultures struggles to cope with 21st century Britain and even come into conflict with their offsprings when they adopt Western ways. If that isn't a cultural clash I don't know what is.
A generational clash. Culture has nothing to do with it.

Latest Threads