Chinese in Afghanistan ?

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by No_Duff, Feb 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there any Chinese Armed Forces in Afghanistan ?
  2. I thought this was a thread about Chinese restaurants in downtown Sangin
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

In uniform? No. At the massive Copper Mine that they are developing in the North? Undoubtedly, but given that most large conglomerates in China have links with (or are owned by) the PLA, this is not surprising. The Chinese are being very cunning, fittingly, in getting the Afghans to guard the mine, and the USA to provide wider security in the Province. They are hoping to reap the rewards.

There are all sorts of people for odd Armies in Afghanistan - there are for example large numbers of people atached to, for example, Indian aid projects, and to the various Embassises and Consulates (The Indian, Pak, and Chinee consulates in Kandahar, for example), many of whom have a distinctly military gait....
  4. Were there Israeli PMC's building a runway somewhere up north in Iraq at somepoint? I think I read it was going to be used for Israeli bombers to refuel should they feel the need to bomb Iran.

Or have I been drinking too much again?
  5. Officially or Unofficially?
  6. As far as I remember it was a PMC firm ran by a former IDF general who still had ties with the IDF so I'm thinking unofficial.

I think I read it in Time magazine but can't find anything online. It's defo not me having a Tom Clancy moment as I remember reading that the US state dept wasn't impressed.