Chinese Christmas - a Winter Rant

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Whiskybreath, Dec 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For many years in various parts of Africa I've resisted the purchase of anything made in China; invariably, and although the item may have an initial appeal because of its low price, it will turn out to be tat; usually that's abundantly obvious on first inspection. This has always been the case, from kitchen cooking kit to plumbing supplies (that same shower unit has been on sale for thirty five bloody years, all over the Middle and Far East, and all over Africa, and it's crap - but cheap). The equivalent product made in England, Germany or the US has always - always - been of higher quality, and although likely to be pricier, the lifetime benefit has always been on the side of the Western-produced item.

Now do a tour of Marks and Spencer, Sainsbury's or Tesco, and try to find any piece of cutlery or other home-based item which hasn't been made in China. You'll find it difficult. The apparent quality has been raised, but not by much. The proportion of such items on sale which have been made in China is, I'm sure, a hundredfold what it was ten years ago, but worse, there is no competitive product on sale which has been made in the UK. Today I foolishly bought a pair of slippers (yes, ok) from M&S, trusting to their usual 'reasonable' standard of quality, and realised that the good old days of reliable British quality are comprehensively over in this bracket of produce.

Happy ******* Chinese Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Global ecomomics innit.

3. Recently bought a microwave. On looking through all the web-sites I couldn't find one not made in China and that was from all manufacturers.

4. Precisely. I just want a product with no part of it made in frigging China; is that so hard?

Yes, it is. They have seen our trade unions, our NHS, our 'Coalition Government', our Human Rights legislation, our future defence policy, our millions with no motivation to work, our our vast generosity to corrupt foreigners (both inside and outside our borders) and have said: Yes!! We going to screw you, English Devil! And that's exactly what they're doing.

• Like Like x 3
  5. If you want 'Made in England', start your own company and make it. Or vote for some party that isn't slavishly devoted to the free market - if you can find one.

6. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, where's a good old Communist Party when you need one?

7. Good points. I'd vote for any party slavishly devoted to the free market so long as it recognised that the British Working Man produced the finest goods on the planet, ably supported by the British Manager, when he's not on the course or in his PA. Voting for some band of non-public-school rubber-johnnies is out, though.

8. Don't worry, next year it'll be 'Made in Vietnam' or 'Made in the Philippines' instead. The reason? It's more profitable to the people who sell the stuff to do it that way. 'Made in China' is just the latest in a long line of 'Made by Someone Else'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. At the end of the day, price is king.

If you want high quality, go German or Japanese.

Problem is, less and less People have got the money to pay through the nose for the quality.

The Chinese will reap the rewards despite paying its average hard working manual worker £5 per day in wages.

With 1 in 3 of the human race being Chinese, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that the West's long term exploitation of Chinese labour has only resulted in China becoming the worlds next superpower at the economic expense of the West.

The wheel has indeed turned. Lets hope that they don't have us all working as their slaves one day soon!

10. I remember what the British working man could produce, when he was actually working.
    Other colours were available:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. As the Right Honourable Mr Paul Weller once opined "The public gets what the public wants."
    Here in NZ a lot of jobs are disappearing due to companies, even state owned businesses such as KiwiRail, buying Chinese goods.
    In my 'City' recently a Railways workshop, that had been making and maintaining rolling stock for over a century, closed due to 'Market forces' which forced the management to buy Chinese manufactured wagons.
    On delivery the brand new wagons had to be sent to the KiwiiRail workshops to be overhauled as the brakes were defective!
    Great Value For Money.

12. My dad has a bunch of old things that are labelled "Empire Made", because it sounds much better than "Made in India". Outsourcing labour will always continue as long as it ups the profit margin enough. However, this article I read a few months ago says otherwise, but I will leave the economics to people who know and like that sort of thing more.
    The Economy's New Rules: Go Glocal - TIME

13. China isn't necessarily "free market" though, they've deliberately fixed a low value for their currency which artificially subsidises their products. Their long view seems to be to destroy all competition by under-cutting and dumping.

Its a bit stupid when even other developing asian nations cannot produce basic goods locally because imported chinese goods are much cheaper...

14. Beat me to it, thing is there are 'sad F**kers' out there that restore things like this and spend w/ends in pubs going on how 'classic' stuff like this is and how they don't make them like that anymore..having said that I have recently 'refurbished' a ex GPO BSA Bantam..:oops:

15. My mate hired one of these once for a weekend leave and I didn't think it was particularly bad other than a little cramped inside.

Of course, Japanese motors coming onto the market at the same time were infinitely better because they came with a radio fitted as standard.