chinese aircraft carriers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Grumblegrunt, Nov 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well I was hoping to sell them one or two of ours for a small commission but it appears I may be too late

Future Chinese aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soviet aircraft carrier Varyag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20 million for a complete shell! we should have bought it.

I wonder if our politicians are aware of world events, carriers would make the taiwan threat more plausible and the PLAN are reported to be trying to build quiet subs to counter the american activity in support of the ROC.more likely there will either be a head butting contest with india who also being a carrier navy have been known to butt heads with the americans just to be awkward

this apparently is a theme park -,114.237009&spn=0.002928,0.005686&z=18
  2. Yawn... no real news here

The Chonks have had the Ex-VARYAG for quite a while and are still encountering problems in getting it sea-worthy. And they have a fair few pennies thrown at the thing as it's high up on their 'to-do list'.

Not sure of costs of building a shell vs buying this, however i'm sure you would always want to have something that is purpose-built for OUR engines/equipment/personnel rather than trying to shoe-horn our stuff into a decades old hulk!

I don't really get your point about India? Are you suggesting a Sino-India link-up vs Uncle Sam? I would suggest you are a little off the mark there...
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

4. thats just geek'd me out
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

both the chinese and india regard the americans as being out of place and interfering in what they consider domestic matters so its not so unlikely that some form of pact is made outside of a tom clancy novel. india get their cheap indian carrier in 2011 or so fully kitted out for around 2.5 billion dollars. china has bought an empty version of the same and has the capacity to build something better

china and india may go to war every few years over disputed territory but they both reckon their place on the world pecking order should be higher due to institutional self delusions.

when you have the room to work its not so hard to shoe horn stuff in, china has all the plans and specs so making the bits that fit wont be so hard especially as most of it they have allready in the rest of the soviet built and copied stuff they have.

as quoted elsewhere we could save a billion a carrier if we had the shells built in poland which would strangely pay for the airframes to go into them. it is interesting that the mods to the indian carrier include provision for existing layouts for use with their harrier force.

the history of ww2 brit carriers is fascinating as most of them we flogged off due to winning. I like the USS Robin though showed they owed us one and may explain that strange offer in 82
  6. And if you think about it, with foreign aid we're paying for those Harriers despite not being able to afford our own.
  7. No we couldnt as the basic building phase is (i believe) to cost about 500 million pounds each, steel is cheap and air is free. The expensive bits are the electronics, control systems and so on. As we have found, putting new high end electronics into cramped old fashioned ships is VERY expensive. The aircraft are probably going to cost 7 billion for the whole buy, hardly "pays for itself". Plus building it poland doesnt cover the extra costs from generaly shite building standards and practices that may come up.

Most of our carriers we had from WW2 finished the war completely shagged out and due very expensive Refits.
  8. The Chief of the Indian Navy wasn't so sanguine last year. I seem to remember he got his arrse handed him in the popular press after that speech.