Chinese Advisors to train Iraqis and Afghans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Chief_Joseph, Sep 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You posted this as if it were a bad thing.
    The country is riddled with mines and booby traps, a foreign power comes in to help (with an eye on future business).
    Your country doesn't do this?

2. And it's not as if the Chinese don't know lots of detailed and useful information about the mines. If they didn't actually make them, they sold the Iranians the designs.

3. Good luck to them if all they want to do is clear minefields. IIRC there may be a few WW2 minefields in Lybia that still have to be lifted, so we may find ourselves in some sort of similar joint project out there now that we are all best pals again.

The Indian press also seems to be a bit nervous of China (according to the Chinese), and it looks like Indian border forces have gone on a 50% stand to in two areas, but only as an exercise. Report here. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/india/Indian-army-on-Operation-Alert-along-China-border/articleshow/5019445.cms

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, anyone here old enough to remember the impact of the North Korean trainers in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe? 5 Bde, trained by them, was subsequently used by Mr Ebagum to violently oppress all opposition (and anyone else he didn't like).

Training a military force in a political way - which th eChinese will do, sure as eggs are eggs - will lead to the temptation, at the very least, for them to be used in politcal ways.

5. Rather a misleading title, IMO. The term 'advisors' has a decades-long connotation of foreigners going in-country to train the personnel, whereas the article makes clear that the deminers are going to China for training.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were subjected to a barrage of political indoctrination, that's a facet of Chinese military training that's inescapable although there are pleasing signs that the new National Defence University is emphasising professional competence over party loyalty at least at the junior command levels. Going to China for training might be something to worry about if more than just technical personnel start getting sent there, but I suspect Washington would throw its collective teddy into orbit if their tame Fig 11s in Baghdad and Kabul tried that.

6. I was simply sharing. I think it IS a good thing