Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

CHINA'S LIABILITY?

Has there ever been a previous example of governments covering up disease outbreaks?
Certainly government agencies have been. The US CDC came under some flak for downplaying Lyme's Disease in the States, promoting some internal whistleblowers to go public under the banner of CDC SPIDER.

I suspect there are broad parallels in that local agencies and personnel with their own agendas can abuse their position to avoid being caught out for ******* up.

I have heard that several Russian doctors who have tried to speak about things such as PPE shortages have had fatal falls from windows. A big problem in Vlad's Russia.
In Xi's China doctors who tried to speak out have just vanished.

Vlad and Xi in cahoots?

Has there ever been a previous example of governments covering up disease outbreaks?

British companies who relocated production to China , need to have a really good think about whether it is still the right way forward.

I doubt if there are many considerations other than acceptable QC, reliability of supply and financial bottom line. If places like Korea and Indonesia were a more attractive alternative proposition, the contracting companies will already have made the move.

The only thing that might alter the position would be a mass consumer boycott of PRC produced goods. I can't really see this happening, especially at the present time when there are very few available alternatives.

I'm currently re-reading "Red Storm Rising" for the umpteenth time and I immediately thought of Gerhardt Falken, the "West German" that the Soviets accuse of trying to blow up the Kremlin as a pretext for war.

I was going to post that last night, but it was late so didn't bother.

Then I woke up to this:

BBC News - Coronavirus: France's first known case 'was in December'

Maskirovka, anyone?

I thought the BBC article was interesting but I'm confused. The good Dr allegedly had frozen swaps from the December patient which he has now tested for Covid19. Why would they have kept swabs from a patient in December who was displaying pneumonia symptoms? Seems odd to me.

I doubt if there are many considerations other than acceptable QC, reliability of supply and financial bottom line. If places like Korea and Indonesia were a more attractive alternative proposition, the contracting companies will already have made the move.

The only thing that might alter the position would be a mass consumer boycott of PRC produced goods. I can't really see this happening, especially at the present time when there are very few available alternatives.

I went to a garden centre ( which also sells food ) a couple of days back.
Really need seeds for various salad plants and stuff.
None available .
But if I want seed trays, planters, spades, forks, rakes, wheelbarrows - plenty.
All made in the Peoples Republic of fcuking China.

Why on earth should we be supporting their economy, when they have just massively damaged ours.
There needs to be en embargo on their products until they actually change their ways.
Otherwise they will just carry on as normal.

And it will happen again.

I went to a garden centre ( which also sells food ) a couple of days back.
Really need seeds for various salad plants and stuff.
None available .
But if I want seed trays, planters, spades, forks, rakes, wheelbarrows - plenty.
All made in the Peoples Republic of fcuking China.

Why on earth should we be supporting their economy, when they have just massively damaged ours.
There needs to be en embargo on their products until they actually change their ways.
Otherwise they will just carry on as normal.

And it will happen again.
You are supporting their economy because you want to buy cheap products.
No one forces you to buy their stuff.

I thought the BBC article was interesting but I'm confused. The good Dr allegedly had frozen swaps from the December patient which he has now tested for Covid19. Why would they have kept swabs from a patient in December who was displaying pneumonia symptoms? Seems odd to me.
AFAICR, Dr Crick (?) of DNA Nobel fame treated a patient in Portsmouth in the late 1950's. The patient, Royal Navy, had returned from West Africa with an unidentifiable illness. All his attempts failed, and the patient died. Crick took paraffin tissue samples. These were tested later against HIV/AIDS about 25 years later, and somewhere around 13 of the 17 tests proved positive. Perhaps the doctor in the report above was not convinced that this patient was a "normal" pneumonia patient?

*** Quick update - Crick was NOT involved, and the hospital was Manchester Royal Infirmary. The patient (Merchant Navy 1955-1957) did not die from AIDS - or there is sufficient evidence to suggest cross-contamination and no AIDS in the tissue samples.
So, other than the patient didn't have AIDS, he was in the Belgian Congo and not Western Africa, the doctor was incorrect, the locale was out by a couple of 100 miles, the samples were restested 32 years later...
Here is a link to the story.

I guess that leaves the assumption that the patient in the quote above had something abnormal, hence the tissue samples being frozen.

Last edited:
AFAICR, Dr Crick (?) of DNA Nobel fame treated a patient in Portsmouth in the late 1950's. The patient, Royal Navy, had returned from West Africa with an unidentifiable illness. All his attempts failed, and the patient died. Crick took paraffin tissue samples. These were tested later against HIV/AIDS about 25 years later, and somewhere around 13 of the 17 tests proved positive. Perhaps the doctor in the report above was not convinced that this patient was a "normal" pneumonia patient?

Possibly. The article says...

''Dr Cohen told the BBC that he had the idea to look back at all patients who had been in intensive care units with suspected pneumonia between 2 December and 16 January.

He found 14 patients who had tested negative for pneumonia. He defrosted their samples and tested them for traces of Covid-19. He said that out of the 14 samples, one tested positive for traces of Covid-19. A second test on that same sample also came back positive. He added that the patient's chest scan was also compatible with the symptoms of Covid-19.''

So maybe the samples were frozen because they thought something was amiss. Patients displaying pneumonia like symptoms but testing negative for pneumonia may be the motivator.

*** Quick update - Crick was NOT involved, and the hospital was Manchester Royal Infirmary. The patient (Merchant Navy 1955-1957) did not die from AIDS - or there is sufficient evidence to suggest cross-contamination and no AIDS in the tissue samples.
So, other than the patient didn't have AIDS, he was in the Belgian Congo and not Western Africa, the doctor was incorrect, the locale was out by a couple of 100 miles, the samples were restested 32 years later...
Here is a link to the story.

I guess that leaves the assumption that the patient in the quote above had something abnormal, hence the tissue samples being frozen.

Thanks for the link. The David Carr case is very interesting, as was the subsequent eff up and discovery.

Thanks for the link. The David Carr case is very interesting, as was the subsequent eff up and discovery.
It sounds like the original tests were done with the best available tools in the lab at that time, and possibly under the best practices they could have. It just goes to prove that even the best can sometimes be wrong.