CHINA'S LIABILITY?

My bold - did they bulk buy the tin foil too?

It seems not.
No, but lots of other 'stuff'. I never suggested the purchases were illegal, which is why I quoted the fact in my post rather than just leaving it in the link.

'Exclusive video taken at Perth airport shows bulk surgical masks being airfreighted to China last month as it is revealed a Chinese company sent 90 tonnes of Australian supplies to Wuhan.

'The video obtained by news.com.au shows the China-bound boxes of surgical masks stacked up at Perth airport on February 8. News.com.au can reveal the 90-tonne export of our supplies was made by a second Australia-based Chinese property company, on top of yesterday’s revelation of the bulk shipping of hand sanitiser, gloves and masks by a Chinese government-owned company, Greenland. Global property giant Greenland develops luxury ultra-high rise blocks in Australia, and bought up and shipped off thousands of Australian medical supplies to China. This was done after Greenland’s Australian staff were deployed from normal HR and management duties to go out shopping for masks, sanitiser, thermometers and gloves to be sent to Wuhan.

'News.com.au has now learnt even more supplies – vitally needed by Australian doctors and nurses in the coronavirus outbreak – have been sent to China by other exporters. An online post and photograph obtained by news.com.au shows Chinese-owned Risland Australia, boasted online last month that “90 tons (sic) of selective medical supplies” were sent “air transport direct from Sydney to Wuhan via corporate jet”.

With the economic disaster to boot.
Thats the inevitable outcome, if we have shut down the economy for three months every 10 years. Given the bill for this will be likely paid over the next twenty years, I confidently predict that Gaijin economics we will be back in the stone age in twenty years.

Thats the inevitable outcome, if we have shut down the economy for three months every 10 years. Given the bill for this will be likely paid over the next twenty years, I confidently predict that Gaijin economics we will be back in the stone age in twenty years.
Longer I would imagine. The worse the unemployment gets the bigger the hole gets. Hence Trump wanting to reopen the economy rather soonish, before it gets really bad.

I admit, I like Jaffa cakes and other foreign oddities. But the US is not good insecure. We eat well, our BMI is proof of it.
there ya go. A very large amount of US imports are discretionary and no one will starve without them.

The question is, who they important their food from.

IIRC Soviet Russia used to import grain from the US and Canada. That's a strategic lever right there.

Our populations can live without cheap plastic tat and maybe more expensive electronics. But how does a population start to react when food gets radically more expensive or unobtainable?
See recent scenes in our supermarkets to answer that .
Interesting times.

Last edited:
Its a good thing they have to money to buy what they want then. The West is fucked as Steamboat has just said they are cashstrapped.
allowing companies to offshore production to ‘cheaper’ China just became very expensive.

bet you $$$$$ to donuts, all over the world after this is over, anyone wanting to fulfil government orders with offshored products are in for a very rude tarrif surprise.

there ya go. A very large amount of US imports are discretionary and no one will starve without them.
Yes, many of the shops that specialize in foreign imports will be hit hard. When discretionary spending is limited by people for whatever reason, all the frivolous $hit is out on hold until economic security is restored.

No, but lots of other 'stuff'. I never suggested the purchases were illegal, which is why I quoted the fact in my post rather than just leaving it in the link.

'Exclusive video taken at Perth airport shows bulk surgical masks being airfreighted to China last month as it is revealed a Chinese company sent 90 tonnes of Australian supplies to Wuhan.

'The video obtained by news.com.au shows the China-bound boxes of surgical masks stacked up at Perth airport on February 8. News.com.au can reveal the 90-tonne export of our supplies was made by a second Australia-based Chinese property company, on top of yesterday’s revelation of the bulk shipping of hand sanitiser, gloves and masks by a Chinese government-owned company, Greenland. Global property giant Greenland develops luxury ultra-high rise blocks in Australia, and bought up and shipped off thousands of Australian medical supplies to China. This was done after Greenland’s Australian staff were deployed from normal HR and management duties to go out shopping for masks, sanitiser, thermometers and gloves to be sent to Wuhan.

'News.com.au has now learnt even more supplies – vitally needed by Australian doctors and nurses in the coronavirus outbreak – have been sent to China by other exporters. An online post and photograph obtained by news.com.au shows Chinese-owned Risland Australia, boasted online last month that “90 tons (sic) of selective medical supplies” were sent “air transport direct from Sydney to Wuhan via corporate jet”.

clearing out other countries stocks of PPE before putting your hand up and saying, “Wuhan, we’ve had a problem” is not nice.

Yes, many of the shops that specialize in foreign imports will be hit hard. When discretionary spending is limited by people for whatever reason, all the frivolous $hit is out on hold until economic security is restored.
you still import French wine despite US versions being as good or better.

allowing companies to offshore production to ‘cheaper’ China just became very expensive.

bet you $$$$$ to donuts, all over the world after this is over, anyone wanting to fulfil government orders with offshored products are in for a very rude tarrif surprise.
Its just become slightly more expensive, not very expensive.
As I said all the other countries on the UN security council do what the **** they like, anyone who thinks China are going to be held to account for a disease are having a laugh.

you still import French wine despite US versions being as good or better.
Yes people like fancy stuff, or the perception of fancy. I buy Scotch even though we have damn good bourbon, and will continue to do so. Albeit at a slower pace to adjust for economic reality. My goal is to bump out savings from about 8 percent a month to 12-13 percent. So free money will be reduced.

The question is, who they important their food from.

IIRC Soviet Russia used to import grain from the US and Canada. That's a strategic lever right there.

Our populations can live without cheap plastic tat and maybe more expensive electronics. But how does a population start to react when food gets radically more expensive or unobtainable?
See recent scenes in our supermarkets to answer that .
Interesting times.
China can hit it citizens over the head with a big stick and tell them they are having a bowl of gruel a day, not quite the same in West.
While we probably can live without Chinese goods, but no one wants to, if they did they would have been boycotting them years ago.

Indeed, nasty innit, kill of a world population without military intervention. Sneaky that.
Or (tinfoil hat on) wreck everyone's economy, but make sure yours recovers first in order to dominate the market once it resets (tinfoil hat off).

Longer I would imagine. The worse the unemployment gets the bigger the hole gets. Hence Trump wanting to reopen the economy rather soonish, before it gets really bad.
Which is the core of my argument.......... The problem is no longer academic. We've reached peak 'overseas travel' and that is the root cause of this problem. The source of china is largely immaterial, though factually correct (some want to make an issue of race as always).

Either, we change to local travel only and international travel across timezones is massively taxed, or the next pandemic will be along soon enough.

Which is the core of my argument.......... The problem is no longer academic. We've reached peak 'overseas travel' and that is the root cause of this problem. The source of china is largely immaterial, though factually correct (some want to make an issue of race as always).

Either, we change to local travel only and international travel across timezones is massively taxed, or the next pandemic will be along soon enough.
But are you willing to permanently sacrifice the tourism industry?
The other option is just to close national borders quickly and without delay. Of course that is also racist etc, etc.

Latest Threads