CHINA'S LIABILITY?

I'd be a bit careful doing that. Didn't the sainted Sir Terry have some words of advice about picking on wizened little Asian type blokes?
Rule One: Never act incautiously when faced with a small, wrinkly, smiling, bald old man. ;)

Last edited:
Unsurprising how the Chinese media portrays things. Big problems for the bad ol' USA, getting better for the Europeans who we want to keep trading with, and no mention of China itself other than to affirm a USA is worse than us comparison.

'A group of Chinese scientists has developed a global prediction platform for the COVID-19 pandemic based on the impact of climate, environmental conditions and government control measures, which was launched on Monday.

'It aims to predict the pandemic scientifically for the authorities to adopt effective prevention and control measures, according to Lanzhou University in Northwest China's Gansu Province, which called the system "the world's first predictor for COVID-19." The system was developed by the university's Collaborative Innovation Center for Western Ecological Safety. It will be updated every 10 days. The system offers daily predictions of the number of confirmed cases globally and in 180 countries and regions in June. According to the system, the number of new daily global cases will continue to rise in June, and is predicted to reach nearly 250,000 globally by June 30.

'The US will see a new daily case increase of around 30,000 every day in June, while major countries in Europe will witness a continuous drop in new daily cases, according to the system. Yang said that the virus' pathogenicity in the US and China are very different, as it caused more infections and deaths in the US.'

Last edited:
Unsurprising who the Chinese media portrays things.
The Global Times is a tabloid and publishes accordingly. Don't expect great things from it - not only is it wholly under the CCP's control but it exists to fill the gap The Sun and USA Today do in their countries. Simple 'facts of the heart' for the ill-informed and mentally-lazy.

It will be interesting to see if Australia, or anywhere else, is actually up for carrying this idea through, with the attendant medium-term financial pain to make it happen.

'Most Australians are convinced the COVID-19 pandemic has been a “wake up call” and that we should ramp up local manufacturing instead of relying on Chinese goods.

'According to a new YouGov poll, which was carried out on behalf of the Australian Workers Union, a staggering 88 per cent of those surveyed said “we should be making more essential products here and be less reliant on imports from China”.

It will be interesting to see if Australia, or anywhere else, is actually up for carrying this idea through, with the attendant medium-term financial pain to make it happen.

'Most Australians are convinced the COVID-19 pandemic has been a “wake up call” and that we should ramp up local manufacturing instead of relying on Chinese goods.

'According to a new YouGov poll, which was carried out on behalf of the Australian Workers Union, a staggering 88 per cent of those surveyed said “we should be making more essential products here and be less reliant on imports from China”.
A poll for any union is generally going to say what the union wants.

One of the reasons why western countries lost jobs to the far east is because the public want cheap goods and they arent going to pay the wages of a westerner when they can pay a pittance to some 3rd world semi slave.

To my mind, there are two interrelated questions to be answered. The first is whether the domestic economy (specifically cost of living) can support this new onshoring i.e. could anyone afford/would anyone prefer to buy good produced under local labor costs. Until such a time as wages and costs of living harmonise across the globe, there will always be places where it's cheaper to produce things than others.

The second is whether shifting production away from PRC means shifting it back home as opposed to another developing country with low labour costs - and with the consequent vulnerability of the supply chain.

Theoretically, there's a third option of diversifying sources of supply to more than one host country, but given the unlikelihood of labour costs remaining equal across more than one host I think it's unlikely to be a reality. Market forces will drive purchasers to the lowest-cost location and few will be willing to take a hit for The Greater Good.

To my mind, there are two interrelated questions to be answered. The first is whether the domestic economy (specifically cost of living) can support this new onshoring i.e. could anyone afford/would anyone prefer to buy good produced under local labor costs. Until such a time as wages and costs of living harmonise across the globe, there will always be places where it's cheaper to produce things than others.

The second is whether shifting production away from PRC means shifting it back home as opposed to another developing country with low labour costs - and with the consequent vulnerability of the supply chain.

Theoretically, there's a third option of diversifying sources of supply to more than one host country, but given the unlikelihood of labour costs remaining equal across more than one host I think it's unlikely to be a reality. Market forces will drive purchasers to the lowest-cost location and few will be willing to take a hit for The Greater Good.
Are you suggesting that the new supply chain might be threatened by the old supply chain?

Are you suggesting that the new supply chain might be threatened by the old supply chain?
Not really, except in a market competition sense. I meant that the same vulnerabilities of a single source far away will exist regardless of who the source is.

The worlds addiction to cheap goods from China, and China’s great economic leap forward, due to the supply of those goods, coupled with its years of cyber theft on a massive scale, has seen a very quiet and largely unnoticed take over/buy-out in many countries round the world, of important assets, strategic companies, facilities, and the purchase of individuals along with their influence.

It has been a largely unnoticed lengthy subversion with one purpose, world domination by the CCP.

The CCP is a ruthless political force that attaches a far lower importance to the individual, and far less attention to individual freedoms than have been the norm in many other cultures around the globe.

The present COVID crisis has been a catalyst that has alerted the world to this, and the workings of the CCP. It may well have helped create the growing backlash and opposition to Chinas aims and policies, though at a very late stage.

China’s reaction has been hostile and extremely belligerent, portraying this as simply self protection against what it see’s as an unjustified attack upon China.

The question now is, how unjustified is this reaction by many who now see China’s policies as amounting to a silent and inimically hostile long term takeover.

The Chinese 'don't look at us, look at them' info ops campaign continues.

'The COVID-19 epidemic exacerbated amid anti-racism protests sparked by the death of George Floyd and cold-blooded handling of the crisis by American authorities is pushing the US to the brink of being out of control, Chinese observers warned on Sunday.'

The worlds addiction to cheap goods from China, and China’s great economic leap forward, due to the supply of those goods, coupled with its years of cyber theft on a massive scale, has seen a very quiet and largely unnoticed take over/buy-out in many countries round the world, of important assets, strategic companies, facilities, and the purchase of individuals along with their influence.
If ever you are bored, check out the Belt and Road Initiative. An under-the-radar buy-up of Africa and Asia.

If ever you are bored, check out the Belt and Road Initiative. An under-the-radar buy-up of Africa and Asia.
Chinese acquisition of primary resources and 'lily pads' predates the BRI by quite a few years.

The Chinese 'don't look at us, look at them' info ops campaign continues.
Matthew 7, 1-5 was applicable long before this, else the US wouldn't be where it is now.

The price for the moral high ground is the sweat needed to get there in the first place.

Yet more possible evidence that China may well have know about the spread of COVID19 way in advance of informing the WHO.

And continues to demonstrate it’s benign rule and concerns for human rights, freedoms, and personal liberty.

I fully expect the smart orange root and his apologists side-kick to have good excuses for this.

I fully expect the smart orange root and his apologists side-kick to have good excuses for this.
You really have the hots for me, don't you? Why not just have a **** and get it over.

How long does a principled stand last? The UK, like everyone else, showing those nasty Chinese where they can go with their cheap consumer goods.

'The world's biggest container ship, around the same size as four football pitches, has arrived in the UK for the first time. HMM Algeciras is so large its arrival had to be modelled on a simulator to ensure it could be carried out safely. The 1,312ft (400m) long and 200ft (61m) wide ship is delivering a variety of goods at DP World London Gateway in Thurrock.

'Its journey to the UK began in China and it has also been to South Korea, the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium.'

Yokel

LE
How long does a principled stand last? The UK, like everyone else, showing those nasty Chinese where they can go with their cheap consumer goods.

'The world's biggest container ship, around the same size as four football pitches, has arrived in the UK for the first time. HMM Algeciras is so large its arrival had to be modelled on a simulator to ensure it could be carried out safely. The 1,312ft (400m) long and 200ft (61m) wide ship is delivering a variety of goods at DP World London Gateway in Thurrock.

'Its journey to the UK began in China and it has also been to South Korea, the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium.'

But we do not know what she is carrying! In any case I cannot recall anyone saying that it would be possible or desirable to stop buying all Chinese goods.

I suspect the orders were placed months ago anyway. I think that is the point - Just In Time does not work over a distance of thousands of mikes.

Latest Threads