CHINA'S LIABILITY?

The 9000 Rolls Royce job losses.

The Chinese are desperate to improve their aero-engine building capability, because it, like the Chinese themselves, is not great, (see relevant thread elsewhere). Particularly for military engines.

£5 says they'll be looking to recruit some of the more skilled soon to be ex-RR workers, with enticing salaries.

Yokel

LE
The 9000 Rolls Royce job losses.

The Chinese are desperate to improve their aero-engine building capability, because it, like the Chinese themselves, is not great, (see relevant thread elsewhere). Particularly for military engines.

£5 says they'll be looking to recruit some of the more skilled soon to be ex-RR workers, with enticing salaries.
Rolls Royce and BAE Systems are intelligence targets for foreign intelligence services, as well as industrial espionage. As you say China has struggled with the reliability of their jet engines and the metallurgy and manufacturing technology needed.

Marine and Power Generation versions of engines like the Trent also exist.

Worrying times!

Yokel

LE
I wonder how serious they will be with this:

The Institute of Export and International Trade
Hopefully very seriously. Some of us have been concerned about this issue for years, and I did start a thread on this very topic.

I think we need to consider the supply chains for things such as food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, PPE, defence, civil aerospace, civil marine, power generation and distribution, industrial machinery, construction machinery, and a few others.

Reshoring has been happening for other reasons, we just need to encourage it.

Hopefully very seriously. Some of us have been concerned about this issue for years, and I did start a thread on this very topic.

I think we need to consider the supply chains for things such as food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, PPE, defence, civil aerospace, civil marine, power generation and distribution, industrial machinery, construction machinery, and a few others.

Reshoring has been happening for other reasons, we just need to encourage it.
While I agree totally with the sentiment of your proposal, unless we all wake up to the fact that we're in a post-globalisation gravy train world, it ain't going to happen. 'National interest' needs a return to nationalisation of CNI. Too many influential lobbies have become used to the 'get rich quick' mentality of the post-Cold war era, and don't want the accrual of rapid profit to end. Selling your country's security down the river is inconseqential when you can sail away on your mega-yacht if things turn ugly, and you can buy a passport from Malta (other nationalities are available) to maintain your freedom of movement.

If nothing else, this illustrates how pathetic the hysterical screeching about the Far Right threat by police and the security services has been. China is responsible for the deaths of over 35,000 UK citizens, caused the worst recession in living memory and destroyed the quality of life for the vast majority of people. If the warnings regarding the dangers posed by Far Right terrorism were accurate, I'd be able to read of an evening by the light of Chinese people nailed to burning crosses. In reality, the worst that'd happened is a few Asians have been called nasty names and punched in the face.

Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes:

I'd be a bit careful doing that. Didn't the sainted Sir Terry have some words of advice about picking on wizened little Asian type blokes?

I hope Oz is steadfast enough to deal with the consequences and not cave in to the pressure.

'The Chinese government has threatened to slap Australian barley producers with tariffs of up to 80 per cent as relations between Beijing and Canberra continue to sour.

'China’s Ministry of Commerce has given the nation’s barley producers 10 days to respond to an anti-dumping investigation that’s been conducted into Australian grain imports since 2010. China has alleged that Australian farmers produced barley at a price lower than its “normal” level between 2014 and 2016, and is now considering two separate tariffs of 73.6 per cent and 6.9 per cent on Australian barley exported to China.

'Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said the move is deeply concerning and has “no justification”. He said the government is working with the Australian grains industry to mount the strongest possible case against China’s 18-month anti-dumping investigation. “Every country has a right to apply tariffs in relation to matters of dumping,” Senator Birmingham told reporters in Canberra on Sunday. “But we are quite clear and firm in our view that there is no justification to find that Australia’s farmers and barley producers are subsidised or are dumping their product in such ways.”

Australia is still Commonwealth right? Well its been suggested that after BREXIT we pay more attention to the Commonwealth, here's the chance. I wonder if it could be made cheaper to buy Australian food stuffs than go to the EU, lower tarrifs or the like?
I mean yeah, its further, but I heard a significant portion of the cost is getting it to the port and loading it. Once its on a ship its relatively cheap to transport (hence why we have such an import fixation with China).

Gains some good will from Australia, improves the Commonwealth, strengthens the "China, sort your shite out" message, and two fingers to the EU, focusing their minds at the negotiating table. Win Win as far as I can see.

Australia is still Commonwealth right? Well its been suggested that after BREXIT we pay more attention to the Commonwealth, here's the chance. I wonder if it could be made cheaper to buy Australian food stuffs than go to the EU, lower tarrifs or the like?
I mean yeah, its further, but I heard a significant portion of the cost is getting it to the port and loading it. Once its on a ship its relatively cheap to transport (hence why we have such an import fixation with China).

Gains some good will from Australia, improves the Commonwealth, strengthens the "China, sort your shite out" message, and two fingers to the EU, focusing their minds at the negotiating table. Win Win as far as I can see.
I think the import fixation with China is more to do with the fact that the staff in China are paid 2 or 3 USD per day with no benefits rather than the cost of shipping (which is vast).

Still, if we went back to a commonwealth trading model (most of the commonwealth appear to hate us after we abandoned them in favour of the EU) we could turn some of the more austere commonwealth countries into massive manufacturing bases for our benefit and theirs. India is obviously a prime candidate but they are a bit too proud and difficult to deal with if they think we are trying to get one over on them.

I'd be looking at Africa, start building factories and infrastructure in some of the hell holes in Africa with large populations looking for work...ah...thats exactly what the Chinese have been doing for the past 15 years...

China have seen this coming and they basically own much of Africa by now

I think the import fixation with China is more to do with the fact that the staff in China are paid 2 or 3 USD per day with no benefits rather than the cost of shipping (which is vast).

Still, if we went back to a commonwealth trading model (most of the commonwealth appear to hate us after we abandoned them in favour of the EU) we could turn some of the more austere commonwealth countries into massive manufacturing bases for our benefit and theirs. India is obviously a prime candidate but they are a bit too proud and difficult to deal with if they think we are trying to get one over on them.

I'd be looking at Africa, start building factories and infrastructure in some of the hell holes in Africa with large populations looking for work...ah...thats exactly what the Chinese have been doing for the past 15 years...

As you've identified, a significant problem with what you're proposing is the amount of influence China, through years of investment in roads, football stadiums and presidential palaces, without any 'acceptable behaviour' strings attached, has in those same African countries that the UK would be trying to break into.

it costs more to drive a container the last 50 miles from Felixstowe to the distribution depot, than to ship it 14,000 miles by sea to Felixstowe.
UK Plc has invested big money in improving rail infrastructure from the major east coast ports for this very reason.

Yokel

LE
it costs more to drive a container the last 50 miles from Felixstowe to the distribution depot, than to ship it 14,000 miles by sea to Felixstowe.
UK Plc has invested big money in improving rail infrastructure from the major east coast ports for this very reason.
Perhaps the aftermath of BREXIT, the improvement to British ports, and the political and trading ramifications of COVID-19 could provide an opportunity to Australians to export Barley etc to Britain, or other things. Can Australia and others become less dependent on them as an export market?

Chinese gear will be ‘fitted’ to avoid legal issues, but $$$ to donuts replacements sourced from Nokia etc to replace it as fast as possible.

But where is the Nokia gear made?

endure

GCM
Perhaps the aftermath of BREXIT, the improvement to British ports, and the political and trading ramifications of COVID-19 could provide an opportunity to Australians to export Barley etc to Britain, or other things. Can Australia and others become less dependent on them as an export market?

But where is the Nokia gear made?
Finland, China and India...

actually, no.

labour rates in China have risen markedly and its no longer the bargain basement it once was.
Energy prices are once more a significant issue and have allowed the Americans to start reshoreing stuff.

How to destroy China’s economy?

put green tarrifs on imports.

win with the greens
win with U.K. producers.

set the tarrif just high enough to wipe out the financial advantage if importing Chinese stuff.

Last edited:
Tightening the screw

Tightening the screw

I assume this is the research paper

It only seems to infer that the chance of this happening in the wild is a rare event, but it can happen, but also other causes (i.e. man made) are a possibility

It doesn't look like a smoking gun

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the Aristotelian induction,
ChINa, BLAAAAAAAARGH!!!

I assume this is the research paper

It only seems to infer that the chance of this happening in the wild is a rare event, but it can happen, but also other causes (i.e. man made) are a possibility

looks like gain of function, smells of gain of function.

Latest Threads