CHINA'S LIABILITY?

So everyone selling their soul to the Yellow Peril has really worked out well then? It's not like they made a secret of it, yet everyone (including us) went along for the ride anyway. FFS!

:rolleyes:

Yokel

LE
So everyone selling their soul to the Yellow Peril has really worked out well then? It's not like they made a secret of it, yet everyone (including us) went along for the ride anyway. FFS!

In the years before Xi, Beijing did seem to be on a pragmatic and less confrontational path, but it was convenient to ignore the risks and side step issues such as the environment and human rights, selling arms and technology to anyone willing to pay, and the loss of our own capacity to respond to crises.

Weakening the concept of the nation state and undermining Western institutions such as democracy, the rule of law, and free speech, have all been part of this.

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
Let’s put it like this, I won’t be specifically looking, but since people who knew better than me have restricted our choice I anticipate some of it might be Chinese. That said I buy very little because I don’t need to. That has become a habit because CS pay at my level was very limiting. I tend to keep broken things and try fixing them. The result is I would be rather challenged to find anything that sports the Made in China.....apart from one very old radio which I keep, cos it has a tape deck.
still have PLUSTRON tv/vcr/tape/long med and short radio.....a little sticker round the back , by the mains/12x socket , announces "made in that neck of the woods."........still going strong 50 yrs. later.(the radio, not me)....happy daze....

Puts me in mind of the rapid* dismantling of our defence industries after the wall came down in 1989.
As we picked up our P45s and redundancy we all said "It's great that us and the Russkis are all best mates now isn't it?"
That turned out great as well...

* And I do mean rapid.

Sour grapes from a former Australian PM - almost certainly. Truth in what he says about business (and not confined to Oz) - almost certainly.

'Former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has weighed into billionaire miner Andrew Forrest’s decision to invite a Chinese diplomat to hijack a televised press conference on COVID-19. And his message to the Morrison Government is: don’t ever stand in the way of China, an Australian business leader and a pot of money.

'News.com.au revealed today that the senior Chinese official had hijacked the press conference at the invitation of Mr Forrest, allowing China to directly defend its conduct on COVID-19.

'In response, Mr Turnbull said political leaders should not expect business leaders to offer much support when it comes to tricky moments with China. “An Australian prime minister who ends up in conflict with China cannot expect any support or solidarity from the Australian business community,’’ Mr Turnbull said. “Overwhelmingly, they’re totally invested in the economic benefits of the relationship.”

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Puts me in mind of the rapid* dismantling of our defence industries after the wall came down in 1989.
As we picked up our P45s and redundancy we all said "It's great that us and the Russkis are all best mates now isn't it?"
That turned out great as well...

* And I do mean rapid.
Not just that, but in the eighties and nineties the West was happily was happily selling helicopters to Beijing, without thinking about reverse engineering. How much other technology has been naively given?

You may be interested in my thread: Keeping important technologies under British (and Western in general) control

I consider defence, civil aerospace, civil marine, power generation and distribution, industrial and construction equipment, to be nationally important, as are their subcontractors.

Last edited:
Not just that, buy in the eighties and nineties the West was happily was happily selling helicopters to Beijing, without thinking about reverse engineering. How much other technology has been naively given?
What makes you think that?

So is Australia now a vassal state of China?
No yet, and no need to be melodramatic about 'vassalage', but Oz's continued prosperity, or at least the rate at which it would accrue, is significantly compromised if China were to choose to turn the screws. It then comes down to the population; bread and circuses, or independence?

Yokel

LE
No yet, and no need to be melodramatic about 'vassalage', but Oz's continued prosperity, or at least the rate at which it would accrue, is significantly compromised if China were to choose to turn the screws. It then comes down to the population; bread and circuses, or independence?
I thought that Australia's main exports were sheep, soap operas, and lager? On a serious note, what percentage of their exports is coal? What percentage of exports go to China - particularly compared with South Korea, Japan, etc? Is there manufacturing that could be restored from the PRC to Australian plants?

I thought that Australia's main exports were sheep, soap operas, and lager? On a serious note, what percentage of their exports is coal? What percentage of exports go to China - particularly compared with South Korea, Japan, etc? Is there manufacturing that could be restored from the PRC to Australian plants?
Here ya go.

'China is Australia’s number one export market, our largest source of international students, our most valuable tourism market, a major source of foreign direct investment and our largest agricultural goods market. For several decades, exports and investment have underpinned the development of the Chinese economy. To maintain high levels of growth, the Chinese Government is encouraging a transition to services and consumption while pursuing more sustainable development.'

'Australia's dependence on Chinese money has been a blessing for the local economy, but it could unravel painfully if China's economic slowdown worsens.'

China currently needs Australias resources in resource poor world.
China isn't developing Africa out of altruism. Its aware its vulnerable to Western and Western aligned countries polling the plugs.
Oz may as well bit the bullet now, as soon as Africa is up and running in Chinas own image, its going to cut loose countries like Oz anyway.

China currently needs Australias resources in resource poor world.
China isn't developing Africa out of altruism. Its aware its vulnerable to Western and Western aligned countries polling the plugs.
Oz may as well bit the bullet now, as soon as Africa is up and running in Chinas own image, its going to cut loose countries like Oz anyway.
Exactly the same conundrum that faced Britain and France in the late thirties that drove uncle joe to papa Addi. Resources for technology.
ETA I like the avatar, pity it couln’t have been the pinkel scene

Yokel

LE
This morning I read a news article that quotes doctors who warned that the hundreds of ventilators that the UK recently purchased from China could pose a real risk to patients.

With stories of sales of substandard PPE and dodgy reagents the Communists really are showing their true colours. However they are doing no good for their long term reputation and trading relationships.

Quite a lengthy article, but gives a reasonable summary of the history of COVID-19.

'China deliberately suppressed or destroyed evidence of the coronavirus outbreak in an “assault on international transparency’’ that cost tens of thousands of lives, according to a dossier prepared by concerned Western governments on the COVID-19 contagion.

'The 15-page research document, obtained by The Saturday Telegraph, lays the foundation for the case of negligence being mounted against China. It states that to the “endangerment of other countries” the Chinese government covered-up news of the virus by silencing or “disappearing” doctors who spoke out, destroying evidence of it in laboratories and refusing to provide live samples to international scientists who were working on a vaccine.'

Yokel

LE
That is the problem with a regime with an autocratic structure, where there is little or no separation between executive and judicial powers, and where saving face and covering up mistakes takes priority over learning from experience.

No Magna Carta for President Xi or the Communist party in Beijing.

Lets ignore the involvement of North Carolina University and Australian Animal Health Laboratory. It's the Chinks innit.
Dirty goings ons and skulduggery abounds here. It's amazing who we trust eh. And who we blame.

That is the problem with a regime with an autocratic structure, where there is little or no separation between executive and judicial powers, and where saving face and covering up mistakes takes priority over learning from experience.

No Magna Carta for President Xi or the Communist party in Beijing.
No real difference in western democracies.

Yokel

LE
Lets ignore the involvement of North Carolina University and Australian Animal Health Laboratory. It's the Chinks innit.
Dirty goings ons and skulduggery abounds here. It's amazing who we trust eh. And who we blame.
Do American and Australian institutions refuse international inspections and get the regime to make people disappear?

The story said US funding was withdrawn because of safety concerns.

No real difference in western democracies.
At least we get elections, parliamentary scrutiny, and a free media.

Latest Threads