CHINA'S LIABILITY?

This place is becoming a petri-dish for right-wing American alt-reality.

Do these f'ing nutters actually believe what they type?
If you read all the thread you'll see its not just the Americans who are on crack.

Last edited:
Things post COVID will be a tad bit different I am afraid.
You can’t blame a virus for a trade war that already existed and the question has to be are you pro a Chinese hegemony because of Trump? There is a similarity across the world in the don’t rock the boat
But the issue at hand is not "trivial" in the eyes of many here. When you misread the importance of an issue to some, it does make it harder to ignore. America is protectionist when it comes to trade, and will be even more so in the future. I imagine many industries coming back, to prevent being placed in a bind similar to this one in the future. Where one country controls far to many important things.
N o I don’t think I have. The issue here is that everyone here is playing the protectionist card China, The US and the EU. The only ones not are us because we have little left to protect. Protectionist politics/ and or the failure to question the status quo has brought us where we are. I am a terrible consumer, I tend to recycle what I want because I am not offered what I want. I have to buy Chinese consumables because that where the majority are made. I have practically no American content, cos that‘s not where it’s made

Politically, you might be right, I don't know.

Economically, Russia's economy is the same size as Spain.......so hardly a heavyweight, or even a middleweight.
History shows us that Russia has always sold it’s raw materials and energy supplies for know how and I don’t think the Spanish are as feared as the Russians. The fact that France and Britain couldn’t agree who to support caused the infamous pact. So irrespective of the size of the Russian economy it packs significant clout. Russia doesn’t mind making money, Russia just wants to limit who earns it.

China lied about what was the starting point of corona(my guess is back in October), Its infections and the death rates..... That alone, created a culture outside of china, that it was just a nasty flu. I view the WHO as complicit in that cover-up and yet the media including the BBC are still claiming crazy bollox like italy has more deaths than china.

South Korea - due to its mobilisation plans vis-a-vis north korea were always likely to be well prepared. But everyone else has being in receipt of incorrect information and the blame likes squarely wtih china. Certainly that would be the basis of reciprocity, be it trade or other restrictions.

My view is Huawei is dead in the water, as Boris may well be blameless on what to do. He won't be able to argue that anything that comes out of china is trustworthy.

I think China making a habit of fibbing about things has been an unspoken truth in diplomacy for a while now (with the exception of orange one PBUH), after this it's all out in the open. There's no way they told the truth about the numbers and they can't hide that one forever.

Even CNN is badmouthing China now,
If they are, it will be because they will be soon demanding that Trump does more against them.

China lied about what was the starting point of corona(my guess is back in October), Its infections and the death rates.....
Seems the Chinese were doing some panic-buying of their own. Of course now they can sell these items back at profit, but that's capitalism for you.

'China stockpiled more than 2 billion surgical masks and essential medical supplies in a global panic buy now impacting the worldwide shortage of protective equipment. The two billion masks and 25 million pieces of personal protective equipment (PPE) were imported from Australia and other overseas countries between January and March.

'On Thursday, a Chinese government report detailing its foreign trade for the first two months of the year was uncovered, Daily Mail Australia reported. When the Wuhan-originated virus was at its peak, the Chinese government went on a global campaign to recruit Chinese-owned companies in foreign countries to raid stocks of the items. While Australia’s first COVID-19 infected person arrived on a plane from China on January 19, the virus had only just begun to spread globally when the big buy-up began.

'China saw a “rapid growth in imports of commodities and key consumer goods” comprising 2.46 billion medical supply items. These included masks, gloves, hand sanitiser, hazmat suits, ventilators and other materials. The National Customs in China inspected the billions of items between January 24 and February 29, according to the report.'

What nice people, being our helping friends.

'A China-based global firm is on an aggressive sales drive to profit from flooding Australia with millions of surgical masks as the Australian health system suffers a national shortage.

'Despite Australia being just one country suffering a worldwide shortage of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), the company seems to have plentiful supplies. It is offering masks for sale in minimum orders of 100,000 at about $235,000.

'The company, DongGuan Crown Win Packaging, appears to be using a fear campaign marketing tactic in selling the masks, saying the “coronavirus is getting worse, spread quickly”. It then says “I hope you take good care of yourself and your family members” in an email from the company, also known as just Crown Win, obtained by news.com.au.

'The email sent to Australian firms addresses them as “my dear friend” and says “let’s fight against the CONVID-19 (sic) together … hope the whole world get better ASAP” The Crown Win campaign comes after Chinese companies drained Australia’s supplies of masks, gloves, hand sanitiser and other essential medical supplies and shipped them in bulk to China.'

It does seem to be gathering a little traction. Justin Trudeau was asked about it in his daily address and said when this is over things may be re examined (paraphrased). When Canadians are pissed enough to say something you know it’s coming.

It does seem to be gathering a little traction. Justin Trudeau was asked about it in his daily address and said when this is over things may be re examined (paraphrased). When Canadians are pissed enough to say something you know it’s coming.
'The real country' - that bedrock, silent majority. Those who stand outside and clap for the NHS and do what the government told them to do, for the sake of others... We are only ever consulted once every five years and much of the received wisdom and world that politicians, media and business operate is largely detached from the real country.

When the s*** hits the fan, its the real country who step up and carry a weapon, or in the case of covid, will shift opinions initially in a cold harsh logic of punishing the sinner.. In the case of trudeau, trump, the EU and Boris. All will find that cold icy blast blowing and will want to get out of the way, or at least control its direction.

Rhetoric aside, china is going to face a 5-10 year reaction and simply buying politiicans, businessmen to influence the media will not work.

Seems the Chinese were doing some panic-buying of their own. Of course now they can sell these items back at profit, but that's capitalism for you.

'China stockpiled more than 2 billion surgical masks and essential medical supplies in a global panic buy now impacting the worldwide shortage of protective equipment. The two billion masks and 25 million pieces of personal protective equipment (PPE) were imported from Australia and other overseas countries between January and March.

'On Thursday, a Chinese government report detailing its foreign trade for the first two months of the year was uncovered, Daily Mail Australia reported. When the Wuhan-originated virus was at its peak, the Chinese government went on a global campaign to recruit Chinese-owned companies in foreign countries to raid stocks of the items. While Australia’s first COVID-19 infected person arrived on a plane from China on January 19, the virus had only just begun to spread globally when the big buy-up began.

'China saw a “rapid growth in imports of commodities and key consumer goods” comprising 2.46 billion medical supply items. These included masks, gloves, hand sanitiser, hazmat suits, ventilators and other materials. The National Customs in China inspected the billions of items between January 24 and February 29, according to the report.'

What nice people, being our helping friends.

'A China-based global firm is on an aggressive sales drive to profit from flooding Australia with millions of surgical masks as the Australian health system suffers a national shortage.

'Despite Australia being just one country suffering a worldwide shortage of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), the company seems to have plentiful supplies. It is offering masks for sale in minimum orders of 100,000 at about $235,000.

'The company, DongGuan Crown Win Packaging, appears to be using a fear campaign marketing tactic in selling the masks, saying the “coronavirus is getting worse, spread quickly”. It then says “I hope you take good care of yourself and your family members” in an email from the company, also known as just Crown Win, obtained by news.com.au.

'The email sent to Australian firms addresses them as “my dear friend” and says “let’s fight against the CONVID-19 (sic) together … hope the whole world get better ASAP” The Crown Win campaign comes after Chinese companies drained Australia’s supplies of masks, gloves, hand sanitiser and other essential medical supplies and shipped them in bulk to China.'

Want premium US branded PPE like McKeeson or 3M masks?
none to be had, well sort of. You can see it being sold online by Chinese sellers on eBay here in the UK. I wonder who’s supplying them? Certainly isn’t the regular supply chain.

So, who's gonna step up to the plate and be be Billy Big-Balls?

'I have not come to any definitive views on the merits of these claims. Assuming that they had some merit, one would still need to identify a State willing to sue China before the International Court of Justice, which, of course, is not an easy task. But even if the legal challenge is not successful, pursuing such a case in a public forum like the International Court of Justice could still lead to significant political victories. It is not every day that one comes across violations of international law that are, allegedly, responsible for the deaths of so many people in so many countries. So if there is any case where justice should be done, this would certainly be it.'

Full article - Taking China to the International Court of Justice over COVID-19 – EJIL: Talk!

So, who's gonna step up to the plate and be be Billy Big-Balls?

'I have not come to any definitive views on the merits of these claims. Assuming that they had some merit, one would still need to identify a State willing to sue China before the International Court of Justice, which, of course, is not an easy task. But even if the legal challenge is not successful, pursuing such a case in a public forum like the International Court of Justice could still lead to significant political victories. It is not every day that one comes across violations of international law that are, allegedly, responsible for the deaths of so many people in so many countries. So if there is any case where justice should be done, this would certainly be it.'

Full article - Taking China to the International Court of Justice over COVID-19 – EJIL: Talk!

Already started.

Latest Threads