China to boost peacekeepers in Lebanon to 1000

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BEIJING -- China has decided to increase its peacekeeping force in Lebanon to 1,000 personnel, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said here Monday.

Wen made the remarks at a meeting with the press following his talks with visiting Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi.

French President Jacques Chirac last week revealed China's peacekeeping commitment after meeting Wen in Helsinki, but until now China had not specified the size of its contribution to U.N. efforts to maintain peace in Lebanon.

"China has decided to increase its peacekeeping force in Lebanon to 1,000," Wen told reporters at a joint news conference in Beijing with Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi.

Around 200 Chinese engineers already work for the U.N. in Lebanon clearing mines and unexploded ordnance. The U.N. peacekeeping force is being expanded to uphold a shaky truce between Israel and Hizbollah guerrillas.
  2. Bump

I am surprised that no one has picked up on the significance of this - do you know that in PLA circles it is mooted that Chinese Forces will be deployed with EU inc UK Forces on a regular basis in a few years.
  3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I did see this report earlier. For quite a while now there have been reports of Chinese diplomats (legals) in the region, and one must assume other's (illegals, tho' I'm betting the relevant regime's are quite happy to have them there :twisted: ). I keep hearing people discuss China as an emerging super power!!!! Now I may be dumb (in fact the fact does not need much dispute) but why exactly are they one of the five permenant members (and have been since inception) of the UNSC again????
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Good way to get free training in operational doctrine, I should think. Expect lots of questions about amphibeous landings.

Although what they'll learn from the French and Italians in Lebanon I don't know - collaboration, running away and surrendering. :D
  5. Mmmm maybe contary to the standard of your other posts, your Dumb. If having over twenty percent of the worlds population under one flag, the Worlds biggest AirForce, The Worlds biggest Army and the Worlds biggest by far, reserve force, all rapidly re equiping to 21st Century standards. Does not qualify you for UNSC membership. When the french are and have to be shamed by the Italians into providing more than 200 troops to a mission they have initiated.

Can the Chinese fight? I don't know, ask Trip Wire how much free time he had on his hands in Korea.
  6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Yeh I thought I was missing something when I heard people talking of China as an emerging superpower ;)
  7. China already has 300 + troops demining in Lebabnon no body complained before.....
  8. I wonder if the next announcement that China makes in regards to Lebanon is a huge investment deal in regards to the Lebanese infrastructure? - first Gwader and next no doubt, Tyre
  9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Quite possible, wonder if Israel would think twice about knocking it down a third time...
  10. Amazing huh?

But excellent use of soft power, and just one more step in China's quest for international legitimacy.
  11. Because China (or rather the Nationalist part) was one of the victors of WW2.
  13. AJ and Andy, I think you are both missing the sarcasm in Nehustan's post
  14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

It's a personal niggle of mine at the moment which often has shouting obsenities at the TV. When Current affairs programmes and thus journalists talk about China as an 'emerging' super power, I'm like 'Idiots did you people miss the whole of Chinese History????'
  15. A real pity they've not signed up for the Afghanistan mission - seems they have no problems stumping up the troops unlike many of the European wasters we're lumbered with.