China/Taiwan Situation Heating Up?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Feb 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BEIJING, Feb. 23 (Xinhuanet) -- China hopes relevant countries alert themselves to the "dangerous" actions of "Taiwan independence" forces, said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao Thursday.

Liu made the remarks in response to a qu estion concerning China's stance on the United States' opposition to Chen Shui-bian's intention to abolish the "National Unification Council".

Chen has made a series of "Taiwan independence" remarks since New Year's Day, such as those about abolishing the "National Unification Council" and the "National Unification Guidelines" and "applying for United Nations membership under the name of Taiwan."

Liu said the recent activities and propositions of the "Taiwan Independence" forces convey "dangerous signals." To maintain stability across the Taiwan Strait meets the interests of China as well as other countries, he noted.

"We hope relevant countries alert themselves to the dangerous actions of the 'Taiwan Independence' forces, and work with China to maintain stability and development across the Taiwan Strait," the spokesman said. Enditem

"Countries Urged To Be Alert To 'Taiwan Independence' Forces" 23 February 2006
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-02/23/content_4218471.htm

2. I have a friend who lives in Taiwan and he keeeps me abreast of events. He told me a humorous story about a conversation he had with a taiwanese Air Force Colonel about airfield security. They never considered the possibility that their airfields might be rendered
    unusable by the PRC. The US has helped to fill this void by showing them how to repair their runways. Due to limited airfields Taiwan really needs to acquire a STOL/VSTOL fighter to enhance survivability.

3. Haven't been there for some time but the main freeway has many features of an airfield. Likewise the filling stations had some interesting features, wide off ramps to areas below the general surface etc etc.

4. A large section of one of the of the main roads to Changi airport in Singapore has an easily shiftable central reservation, differing from the rest of the road which has ground-planted trees.

5. Hey! Stop giving away our national secrets!

Some roads in the Lim Chu Kang area look suspiciously like runways.

6. It's not my fault you guys didn't pay attention to Tracy Island and disguise it better! :lol:

7. So I expect the Americans wouldn't just let the Taiwanese to just be invaded....... Meaning we would be dragged in.

8. dan-man

Why would it involve the UK? Has it occured to you that, in a clash between the USA and PRC, also possibly involving Japan, whatever forces we could bring to the party would be so miniscule as to be laughed at?

9. NATO?

The fact that USAF planes would be using RAF bases in the UK to go bomb Beijing. I'm preaty sure if there was some little UK destroyer just floating past in the Asia region the Chinese just wouldn't go 'oh look theres a British ship lets not blow it up'.

10. President Bush's original request as far as I can remember , was some SF , AAR and Naval capability.

Why did it involve the UK , to the scale we now see?

Only the Prime Minister can tell us that , because no reason offered thus far stands up.

If the US goes to war with PRC over Taiwan, we'll be involved.