China successfully tests hypersonic missile system

philc

LE
But what’s it’s pronouns?

seriously the west, capitalism or what ever needs to pull its collective finger out and confront this.

anglo

LE
In my opinion if its Chinese it either doesn't work or is a lie.
I'm not so sure if that applies now
The trouble is, the west has given them a lot of technical ability, the west designs stuff and lets China make it.
China steals the know how, just look at the shortage of integrated circuits as one example.
We, the west, have given the Chinese knowledge to destroy us, because of the greedy bastards among us.
China is like Japan, started off making rubbish, ended up producing some bloody good stuff,
Even so, they out sourced a lot of stuff and frecked their country up just as we have done

Well, that’s a bit of a bugger

in effect It makes BMD pointless, is pretty hard to counter, and they developed it first. Of course there are ways around it, but it’s going to be a pretty cheeky time.

F.O.B. has been around since at least the 1980s however, the hypersonic gliding warhead does add a further degree of difficulty for BMD. Funny how the basics of designing a defence (all-round, mutually supporting and in depth) don't change.

F.O.B. has been around since at least the 1980s however, the hypersonic gliding warhead does add a further degree of difficulty for BMD. Funny how the basics of designing a defence (all-round, mutually supporting and in depth) don't change.
Pity the US has invested in a semi-spherical single trick pony.

And the UK has done fûck all beyond hoping in MAD/SSBN.

Pity the US has invested in a semi-spherical single trick pony.

Not quite, but the without a lot of advance intel, the chance of detection, tracking and the positioning of a suitable BMD system to get an engagement solution (even without the complication of hypersonic glide), is slimmer than Celine Dion.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, that’s a bit of a bugger

in effect It makes BMD pointless, is pretty hard to counter, and they developed it first. Of course there are ways around it, but it’s going to be a pretty cheeky time.
It’s not new….

I do think that if the dinks want to play like this then they’d better watch out. Uncle Sam is not ignoring all this stuff right now.

It’s not new….

I do think that if the dinks want to play like this then they’d better watch out. Uncle Sam is not ignoring all this stuff right now.
The problem is the US are now playing from the back foot, and they’ve no institutional knowledge of how to cope with that.

It’s not new….

It isn't new but it'll help spin up the pork barrel. Missile gap anyone?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The problem is the US are now playing from the back foot, and they’ve no institutional knowledge of how to cope with that.
I’m not so sure that’s true.

Just sayin’:wink:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Playing from the back foot, or institutional knowledge of doing so?
Both, depending on your viewpoint. My experience of the US is that they are both more agile and more effective in their ability to respond to these threats than we generally know or understand until they do react.

The Chinese however, tend to telegraph everything.

Yokel

LE
I thought that international treaties banned this type of system? I imagine that the likes of CND and the Stop The War Coalition will be outraged.

Time to dust off the 1980s Strategic Défense Initiative studies?

Last edited:

Latest Threads