China Steps Up Pressure on Taiwan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RCSignals, Mar 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. To the best of my knowledge Tiawan is the biggest investor in China.
    They couldn't afford to declare 'Independance'.
    China is very sensative on it's territory, what it considers its old traditional borders, both will fight if it came to the final act.
    What the world is watching is a brace of old men having a shouting match outside the pub cum closing time. Go on hit me, nah you hit me first.
    Lots of gob but no overt action.
  3. I hope you are right Jon. It is certainly what the argument has been like, up until recently. Now those old men have a whole lot of well armed young men standing behind them in the shadows, though.
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I too hope you're right Johnwilly, there are many fine knocking-shops on Formosa, none of which deserve coming under the Commie yoke !

Plus all the barbers - those that have been there will know exactly what I mean. :lol:
  5. 8O :? Cuts, whilst not always understanding everything you write you do worry me with your allusions! :wink:

My take on the situation is that China will not allow any loss of 'face' so will continue to rattle the sabre over Taiwan. The 'Kingdom' basis of Chinese thought does not allow for the loss of people or territory, but it is also part of the Chinese culture to think in generations, both predecessors and the generations to come, thus Taiwan can exist outside of the control of Beijing, so long as the Chinese continue to assert that it is part of China and will one day be brought back into the fold, either by choice or domination.

I'm actually more interested in the fact that there has been a massive increase in the number of female mainland Chinese who are moving to Taiwan. Given that China will curb the movements of its population at will, there is more to this than meets the eye. Thanks to the 'one child' policy of the PRC (and the associated 'culling' of female babies) there are more single men than women in mainland China, thus the movement of single females OUT of the country is odd. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a PRC policy to 'breed-out' the Taiwanese desire for independence over the next few generations - the old "feeding of ideology with the mother's milk" concept...
  6. Eh bye gum ya right luv, it's all the fault of thems wimmin.
    Corrupting young lads from day one. Be a good boy or no more suck at tit then picking them up by the personal bits and show big.
    Yep ya got it right what a plesure to speak with such a switched on vision of perfection.