China, Russia and petro-powers could bring US to its knees

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Not while Oil is priced in dollars they wont... :wink: still foward the revolution and all that :roll: Beside as they own big chunks of the States its a little like cutting one own nose off to spite one face!
  3. America has been written off many times before and because of the inherant flexibility of its economy it always fights back. I wouldn't go looking for any fat ladies singing for many years yet.

On a not unrelated topic, in the short term America faces a significant threat to its crude supplies from two of its largest suppliers. Mexico's production is dropping like a stone and it may cease to export any oil at all in 2010-12 which will be a major loss to the US refineries. Virtually all Mexico's oil goes North. Also uncle Sam has that blowhard Chavez to consider in Venezuela who also supply a very large chunk of US oil and whom is threatening to send it elsewhere. He may change his mind if a Carrier Battle group arrives offshore though.
  4. As long as Oil is priced in the yankee $ , the US will be OK.
    Now if China, Rooshia and/or the Harabs demanded payment in Euro's, King George may invade Europe.
  5. I don't know about Russia, but China and the 'oil powers' both have significant investment in the US. They would have to decide it was in all their best interests to cripple the US economy, wiping out the value of their investments; and then act in concert to do so. That's unlikely, IMO.

It is interesting to speculate, though, how the US economy would be affected by such a move. How much of its remaining manufacturing base would survive if all of a sudden supply of resources was turned off? There would be a drastic change in the standard of living, that's for sure.
  6. I don't think that foreign powers need to cripple the USA, they seem to be doing a good job of it all by themselves. :wink: