China - rising power

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Kromeriz, Aug 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watching BBC World Service broadcasting from Australia. Many Australians identifying with China as a power for good... and complaining about imperialist Britain.

China is a responsible rising power. Discuss.

2. Getting worried are we?

3. Just taken apart by an expat
    for supporting Mugabe
    taking over the government of Angola and carry on

Am I getting worried? Current Affairs, discuss!

4. Couple of commentators giving some thought provoking questions

5. Fresh water wars just aired

6. The Intelligence2Debate from Sydney Australia, Have we anything to fear from a powerful China? Has just voted no.

7. I've been to India a few times and quite a few lads I've spoken to certainly aren't the biggest fans of us

8. yet still they come.

9. Last time I was in OZ during early 90's they were heavily into the tiger economy. Queensland had a lot of the street nemes and menus in English and Japanese, guess it'll all start changing to chinese

The Chinese have taken a major foothold in Africa, they are the rising power. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next decade

10. in the millions ;)

11. From where I'm sitting right now (somewhere in Africa - no details for OPSEC), I can see a tower block under construction with Chinese engineers. Chinese surveyors are a common site where the shi'ite roads and bridges are being repaired. Slightly different form of colonisation or just a desire to hoover-up the remaining world's resources? They're winning some major contracts in AFG as well but that's a whole new topic.
    Was the question about Oz hedging their bets and going with the big boy on the block or about the Chinese? I forget...

12. Did Australia just spend 1.6bn on Growler to defend themselves against Britain?

This is cold war era paranoia, great for Defence spending, wonder who has the most to gain from it.....

13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

according to recent reports I've been reading some 'experts' reckon that china wont have its carrier/s finished before 2020 as they have to develop anti sub, radar etc for it/them.

I didn't realise BAE was advising china on the technology of fitted for but not with - it not a secret?

14. Because we're too far away to care about, whereas China on the other hand....

Or maybe it's something to with the lack of gold medals at the recent sports day

15. Yet the Chinese foothold is very thin and showing signs of fraying. There have been bomb attacks on Chinese workers, a Chinese Mine Manager has been killed by his African staff, Chinese workers have been shot by Park Rangers whilst engaged in poaching, and caught smuggling banned Ivory home.