China - PRC v Hong Kong - Could it Kick Off att Our Uni's

Looks like the HK v PRC has hit the campus in the fair land of Oz, given the high number of students from China in UK could this kick off here when Uni's return?

As I posted on another thread.

If one takes the time to look outward, instead of inward. The World is on the cusp of going very, very noisy.

ugly

LE
Looks like the HK v PRC has hit the campus in the fair land of Oz, given the high number of students from China in UK could this kick off here when Uni's return?

I doubt it, we don't look outward very much, our national sights are set on Westminster at the moment and besides, its all China's problem, we gave up being a colonial power didn't we!
Our minorities at University are usually closely watched/minded by the/ours/theirs security services. Those nice Chinese sorts are usually too busy buying Bicester by the suitcase to be protesting!

In Dubai there are a lot of work camps for the labourers from the countries of the former Raj. Couple of times the Pakistanis kicked off against the Indians. Once things calmed down the result was that the Pakistanis were moved to a different camp, not such a good standard, more beds in the bedrooms, didn't have all the satellite channels they liked, nowhere to play cricket, food not as good. Actions have consequences.

Are you near London Oxford International Airport?
About 1.5 miles from Kidlington Airport as anyone here refers to it.
I take it you have also seen the Oxford signs that later had, 'in two miles' added when people protested about an attempted land grab.
TBH no one I know gives a damn but we do have a good laugh over it.

About 1.5 miles from Kidlington Airport as anyone here refers to it.
I take it you have also seen the Oxford signs that later had, 'in two miles' added when people protested about an attempted land grab.
TBH no one I know gives a damn but we do have a good laugh over it.
I have always thought Kidlington (had a mate who was a FISO there) and was bemused when they decided to big it up for the Olympics.

I have always thought Kidlington (had a mate who was a FISO there) and was bemused when they decided to big it up for the Olympics.
That one is over my head.
BTW we are not even the largest village in Europe any more as a French one has overtaken us.
I don't know if the French one has an international airport though.

gaijin

War Hero
When the unis (look no apostrophe!) return then the protests here will dry up. They are mostly populated by students who aren't clever / motivated enough to get summer internships or disaffected youth looking for an avenue to vent their wider frustrations.

D

Deleted 60082

There was a very recent confrontation at Auckland University between some pro HK protestors and some mainland ‘students’. According to a relative at Auckland University, several Chinese student have been recalled back to China for being a bit pro-Democracy.

Auckland’s population is about 10% Chinese and split between those who support China and those who have escaped it. Moreover there is one National (ie Conservative) MP who was a lecturer at one of the MSS’s universities. Of course, not a spy.

2 decades ago I was at uni completing my aerospace degree, there was a Fellow Researcher - aerospace engineer From mainland China. He was friends of another Chinese lady completing her phd in aerospace and been living in Uk for near decade. She was friends with my best mate who was working on her post grad degree.

Cue a long story short, I got introduced to this gent in the library and turned out he worked at the PLAAF flight test center ....previously as some aerodynamicist. He came to Europe to look for funding from likes of then EADS or Finmeccanica to fund his PHD. He was interested in flapping wing application.

In a conversation with him, laughingly I asked about the up and coming then not known J-10 fighter and got polite slap on the back plus laughter...

After I graduated, I know my best mate and her Chinese friend were still doing their post grad ...I did not know whether the gent from China had secured funding for his PhD ..

Cheers

There has been a string of incidents like this around the world, usually involving the Chinese Scholars' and Students' Associations (CSSAs). These are technically private associations/student societies but the relevant consulate usually has an ex officio post as honorary president or such, and the CCP has increasingly been trying to weaponize them as a way of keeping an eye on dissidents, imposing CCP influence as opposed to HK, Taiwan, or whatever people come up with independently. I would say it's only a matter of time before one of the UK CSSAs chins a Hong Kong student or tries to censor a speaker, and I'd worry much more about this than the usual student free speech rows, because, you know, China.