China Launches First Aircraft Carrier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dashing_Chap, Aug 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. China launches first aircraft carrier on maiden sea | Reuters

Having just got back from China I can confirm that the average patriotic citizen firmly supports Chinese ambitions for Taiwan and islands in the South China Sea. One of them even had the tact to ask me which side I'd take if it came to a war between China and USA but I danced round it by saying it would simply be Armageddon.

The rise of China as a superpower is irresistible, let's hope they can do it by peaceful means.

DC

2. Well I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords and look forward to their help and expertise in effectively quelling civil insurrections. Plus the food's a lot nicer than those godawful "hamburger" things the Spams force us to eat;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. The thought of what concentration camp the Chinese would be most welcome sending rioting UK welfare criminal chav scum to is interesting.

Any confronatation with the Chinese is likely to go their way,they are playing a very long game and in a few years time the pendulum will swing in their favour decisivly.

A firing war would likely be avoided,but small "incidents" and such like will send insurance rates skyward for western shipping.

4. There is already a thread about this.

5. "An aircraft carrier is the mark of major powers," Pan Chunli, a 29-year-old IT technician in Beijing told Reuters.

So much for us then!!!

6. The most likely cause of them not is if they go and do something unutterably stupid, like adopting democracy.

'Coz it's working just dandy for us, isn't it?

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they wont make a move until the dollar stops being a world currency and the US is credit worthy.

Errrrrr! I'd best start digging me bunker

8. If Chinese were building something like US carriers then there would be concern, but I think they only build replica of Admiral Kuznetzov

9. Maybe we could hire it for the Libyan Scheme....

10. Then pray they "do a Germany through Belgium" with India, and hope that they've reduced the numbers down to a more managable size!

11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Two things going on here. Stage 1. Refitting Varyag (the ship under discussion) so as to use her to develop a naval air capability from scratch. She's not a copy of Kuznetsov, she's a sister, bought cheap in a pretty poor state. Stage 2, building their own ship(s) using lessons learned (the pics of these on the net may be somewhat fanciful). Stage 1 is clearly VSTOL & helicopters, stage 2 .. we shall see. No doubt the covert acquisition of technical information from the US is proceeding apace, hope the CIA & FBI are up with that.

Don't mock ANY of it. (a) the Chinese are deadly serious and (b) a highly creative people given the right leadership rather than having the Party decide technical questions on a basis of ideology.

12. There's some speculation that take-off/landing trials will be conducted over the weekend in addition to the announced propulsions, navigation and weapons system ones.

The reason being the sea-trials are taking place in an exclusion area in the Bohai Gulf, which is where they've been conducting land-based pilot-training using carrier mockups.

13. [​IMG]

She arrived home this morning.