China lasing US satellites

tomahawk6 said:
I doubt the Chinese have the capability to "blind" satellites. Its not at all like lasing an airliner.
From the article:

The American military has been so alarmed by the Chinese activity that it has begun test attacks against its own satellites to determine the severity of the threat.
Please enlighten us T6 as to why the "American military" is alarmed over nothing!

Is this just another of your uneducated one-liners or do you actually have something sensible to offer to the debate?

Mad_Moriarty said:
Well if the International Space Station orbits the Earth at around 17,000 mph, You would want to be a good shot to catch a satellite!!
Well it seems the Chinese are. Don't forget the US itself ran experiments along these lines almost 10 years ago!

Doesn't surprise me. The Soviets used to do this kind of think back during the Cold War, looks as though the Chinese are just continuing the tradition.

tomahawk6 said:
I doubt the Chinese have the capability to "blind" satellites. Its not at all like lasing an airliner.
If I were you I would be very careful about doubting John Chinamans ability or their deep pockets when they have to buy in expertise. There are untold thousands of Russian scientists here, being paid American style wages (far in excess of what they would get at home) with labs equiped with anything they want short of Deep Blue. They are also renting loads of German boffins, yet again paying them more that at home (tax free). And of course despite the so called EU arms embargo there are far too many white coats from certain French Companies knocking around, all a little too qualified to be just building Renaults.

If I were you I would be very careful about doubting John Chinamans ability or their deep pockets when they have to buy in expertise. There are untold thousands of Russian scientists here, being paid American style wages (far in excess of what they would get at home) with labs equiped with anything they want short of Deep Blue. They are also renting loads of German boffins, yet again paying them more that at home (tax free). And of course despite the so called EU arms embargo there are far too many white coats from certain French Companies knocking around, all a little too qualified to be just building Renaults

Certain French company's, don't you mean EADS. Their connection with both the Russians and the Chinese defense establishments is too cosy to realistically believe they will stop technological flows. The Russians also bought 5% of EADS and are seeking a seat on the board.
Now EADS is partnering with Northrop Grumman , not a good Idea.

edit due to spelling

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
One could almost say its starting to get real cosy in the Old World :twisted: I think I must have said this before, but there was that banal comment from Dubya 'Old Europe: New Europe', no George it's just Europe is old, and China...well that's old too. Heil the Old World :twisted:

(edit: Hmm, stupid me it was Rumsfeld, ahh well I guess all Neo-Con peas in a pod, unfortunately not a space pod heading for alpha centuri...)

NEO_CON said:
Certain French company's, don't you mean EADS. Their connection with both the Russians and the Chinese defense establishments is too cosy to realistically believe they will stop technological flows. The Russians also bought 5% of EADS and are seeking a seat on the board.
Now EADS is partnering with Northrop Grumman , not a good Idea.edit due to spelling
Alas Defense Companies are commercial concerns, not Patriotic ones - after all BAE does not have a monopoly on selling dodgy overpriced kit to taxpayers. Tis rumoured in some circle sthat American Companies have 'exported via proxy' to China through Israel, certainly whatever the PLA wants (including Arrow 2) Israel will sell.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Well I have it on fairly good authority that the Chinese think Britain rather quaint. I feel quite assured that they do not mean to change the traditions or conventions of our country, so I won't be buying the any 'yellow peril' nonsense or the Chinese red threat, I actually find many Chinese women rather delicious, so if I find any reds under my bed they'll be invited to hop in :twisted: . I actually think in actuality its (China) gradually becoming purple, even tho the flag hasn't quite caught up yet ;)

Well I have it on fairly good authority that the Chinese think Britain rather quaint. I feel quite assured that they do not mean to change the traditions or conventions of our country, so I won't be buying the any 'yellow peril' nonsense or the Chinese red threat, I actually find many Chinese women rather delicious, so if I find any reds under my bed they'll be invited to hop in . I actually think in actuality its (China) gradually becoming purple, even tho the flag hasn't quite caught up yet
I am happy for you the Chinese think Britain is rather quaint and you think Chinese women are rather delicious. I have no doubt given that feeling, when China "comes of age" the Chinese will make Britain a stop over ,on their European Itineraries and you may get your opportunities.

Unfortunately , I am not sure how China will make itself felt to the rest of the world ,including the US .Until I am convinced China's intentions are as benign towards the US and its allies, as our intentions are towards them, I suggest, it is a good Idea not to sell them weapons and military technologies, that can blow our arrse up.

You may consider this 'yellow peril nonsense' I just consider this common sense. I also hope ,China will become a positive partner in the growth of the international system. We will just have to wait and see, how the rise of China, will play itself out.

NEO_CON said:
when China "comes of age" the Chinese will make Britain a stop over, on their European Itineraries and you may get your opportunities.
If they get to Britain I can assur eyou they will do it via California

NEO_CON said:
Unfortunately , I am not sure how China will make itself felt to the rest of the world ,including the US .Until I am convinced China's intentions are as benign towards the US and its allies, as our intentions are towards them, I suggest, it is a good Idea not to sell them weapons and military technologies, that can blow our arrse up.
They have a strong idea of their destiny and its certainly on a par with the US & the EU, as long as they don't get provoked they will just be fine and will exhert themselves in helping keep a 'certain religion' in line.

NEO_CON said:
You may consider this 'yellow peril nonsense' I just consider this common sense. I also hope,China will become a positive partner in the growth of the international system. We will just have to wait and see, how the rise of China, will play itself out.
Its uninformed fear old son, come over and have a look around - don't bother with all of that old Taiwanese 'ChiCom' bullshit, Mainland China is fast becoming a 'pure model' capitalist and consumerist society, who's role model is the US.

They have a strong idea of their destiny and its certainly on a par with the US & the EU, as long as they don't get provoked they will just be fine and will exhert themselves in helping keep a 'certain religion' in line.
Don't forget Japan and India as equal players. Their economies and numbers warrant equal consideration .India is fast approaching China as the worlds most populous country. As far as provocation, not selling China weapons is far from a provocation and Taiwan is a difficult issue.

There is a working, prosperous ,free ,democratic country of 23 million that has been their for fifty years. They should be able to determine what their future will be. Know one knows what would happen if China did take Taiwan by force, more than likely that won't happen ,but I hope American concern and its foreign policy working towards a consensual settling of that dispute is not a provocation. If it is ,I guess we will just have to live with it.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
NEO_CON said:
Well I have it on fairly good authority that the Chinese think Britain rather quaint. I feel quite assured that they do not mean to change the traditions or conventions of our country, so I won't be buying the any 'yellow peril' nonsense or the Chinese red threat, I actually find many Chinese women rather delicious, so if I find any reds under my bed they'll be invited to hop in . I actually think in actuality its (China) gradually becoming purple, even tho the flag hasn't quite caught up yet
I am happy for you the Chinese think Britain is rather quaint and you think Chinese women are rather delicious. I have no doubt given that feeling, when China "comes of age" the Chinese will make Britain a stop over ,on their European Itineraries and you may get your opportunities.
They often do. Last time they bought Rover, I'm hoping that they buy Aston Martin from Ford next time they visit the US ;)

NEO_CON said:
Exactly, are we about to enter an age of Chinese appeasement too :roll:

NEO_CON said:
You may consider this 'yellow peril nonsense' I just consider this common sense. I also hope ,China will become a positive partner in the growth of the international system. We will just have to wait and see, how the rise of China, will play itself out.
armchair_jihad said:
Its uninformed fear old son, come over and have a look around - don't bother with all of that old Taiwanese 'ChiCom' bullshit, Mainland China is fast becoming a 'pure model' capitalist and consumerist society, who's role model is the US.
You think that the US actually wants a large nation comparable to the US to adopt them as a role model. Exporting their versions of A, B, and C is their marketing/advertising copy, unless that country might actually compete or outdo the US. In that case the last thing they want to be is a role model. It's ok if its small central European countries bowing down before the altar of the USA, but someone who might contradict their foreign policy and/or hegemony 'forget about it.'

India unfortunately suffers from massive disparities in development – look at the series of pieces in the NYT concerning water supply in India ( http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/30/w...&en=d2aae862bcec6ce9&ei=5094&partner=homepage ), as an efficient command economy China has managed to get most of its main infrastructure in place very quickly. The economy and political development now has a substantial ‘skeleton’ to grow around. In India this is simply not the case, Chinas population will be relevantly prosperous, India’s will still have the majority living in utter destitution.

Japan acknowledges Chinas rising power and seems to be accepting of it - (it has no choice), Taiwan is simply a province of China’s with a different political system like Hong Kong and Macao. Eventually it will enter a loose alliance with China – most of its Industry has located here already.

Nehustan said:
but someone who might contradict their foreign policy and/or hegemony 'forget about it.'
And just how is the US going to stop China from reaching its historical destiny? Tarrifs? - and see the US economy collapse as joe blow has to pay 90% mark ups on just about everything which is not made in China - ie pretty much everything. Big stick waving? - no that went out with Iraq (paper tiger :wink:). Prevent all other Countries from dealing with China? I don't think so, every Nation including the Israelis is here in force doing whatever it takes to have a piece of the Chinese market. Offering the world a choice between China and the US is not an intelligent gambit.

If the worst came to the worst there is enough discipline in Chinese society to ride out the economic storm that would be created by China dumping its US dollar holdings. Don't know how Dick Cheneys share portfolio would look though :lol: .

Why not just be freinds with them instead?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
armchair_jihad said:
Nehustan said:
but someone who might contradict their foreign policy and/or hegemony 'forget about it.'
And just how is the US going to stop China from reaching its historical destiny? Tarrifs? - and see the US economy collapse as joe blow has to pay 90% mark ups on just about everything which is not made in China - ie pretty much everything. Big stick waving? - no that went out with Iraq (paper tiger :wink:). Prevent all other Countries from dealing with China? I don't think so, every Nation including the Israelis is here in force doing whatever it takes to have a piece of the Chinese market. Offering the world a choice between China and the US is not an intelligent gambit.

If the worst came to the worst there is enough discipline in Chinese society to ride out the economic storm that would be created by China dumping its US dollar holdings. Don't know how Dick Cheneys share portfolio would look though :lol: .

Why not just be freinds with them instead?
I think you're right AJ, but despite the clarity with which you can see this, I'm betting that this is not the view propagated in the US (see above for anecdotal evidence). If we were in relationship counseling the US would be the suffocating, controlling, adulterous partner, it doesn't want things to fit into its socio-political 'cosmological (ontological?)' schema, it needs them to. As to being friends with China, you're working on the premise that China wants this, personally I think China has close ties with people (i.e. countries) that America only has interests in controlling. I think that China views America currently as a lucrative market, and the price of their products will mean this is a reality for the forseeable future, probably indefinately. The fact that this view (see above) correlates to a non 'intelligent gambit', well let's just say its never stopped them before, luckily as you proposed could be the case with China, they had the ability geographically and economically to ride out the storm. If the US is a cat with 9 lives, I think they are beginning to run low...