China gets its own Youtube and Google copycat sites

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by bullet_catcher, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Someone in China has launched imitation sites of Google and YouTube.
    Link to report here. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/china/Imitation-websites-of-Google-YouTube-emerge-in-China/articleshow/5510291.cms

I have tried www.youtubecn.com and www.goojje.com.
    The youtubecn site seems to have all my favourite youtube clips but without the advertising, and without the profiles of uploaders. It is in English. There was a buffering problem sometimes, easily fixed by moving the slider thingy to the left.

Goojje.com is in Chinese, but you can translate it if you have, erm, Google as your home page with the handy translate button.

Not sure if the Great Firewall of China operates on these yet. Also not sure if these sites will dump cunning oriental cookies on my PC. But worth playing with once, just for the novelty, I think.

Edited once because I am an arrse.

2. Whats a Valley Sister???

C

3. I was wondering that as well. Perhaps if we put three red flares up Smartascarrots will come to the rescue. Just a minute, I have a look again and see if I can figure it out.

4. No, sorry, I can't work it out. I thought it might be some deep poetry reference at first, but now I think maybe it refers to a social networking site.

5. Yeah I got that too, I clicked on the Hot Valley Sister link expecting something totally different to what I got!!

Ah well

C

6. Clicking the text led to this page which explains all http://www.goojje.com/mt/2010/0127/38.html

I cheated, I used Babelfish, God bless them. Their translation says:

Here “the valley elder sister” is not somebody, but is a website. Its foundation reason in the google “the announcement withdrawal” the event, finally, has not waited for the google withdrawal, the Chinese version “the valley elder sister” to draw a charge. Because it “the appearance” resembles the google, is called the village in a mountainous area version google by the net friend, moreover, because it advocates the entertainment supreme spirit, is being liked by more and more net friends. This website contact surface imitation “google” the contact surface, is only “google” LOGO turned “goojje”, the Chinese character “the google” also turned “the valley elder sister”. In addition, this website compared to google also many line of characters: “elder brother's leaving behind is for the elder sister, the elder brother is still being infatuated with the elder sister”, taking advantage of refers to “the google” rightly “the valley elder sister” dependence. In the LOGO following square, inputs any key word, can search the related homepage or the information. What Lei Ren is, has line of characters under the google search's square: “the google search” “the luck at games of chance is good.”Actually turned “Gu in here Jie” “lonely to eliminate”. The spot opens the website, inside including many sectors, like “the valley elder sister information” “the valley elder sister hot spot” “the valley elder sister community” “the valley elder sister votes” and so on. The valley elder sister website's manager slightly dazzled narrated the website origination process. According to slightly dazzles introduced that advocates the plan personnel is a Guangdong Province's warm surname in the school female student, this year has 20 years old. She said that exactly said that “the valley elder sister” the website is not an search engine, is only makes friends the platform, is mainly attracts the national deep love “the valley elder sister” the friends. Slightly dazzled said that founded this website the original intention is amusing, everybody arrived at here, chatted together, makes friends, did not have the matter which temporarily wanted to gain. The article comes the network, the home station not is responsible for its authenticity and the accuracy.

7. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

8. Did somebody press the 'China' button? :D

OK, legal disclaimer time. Chinese characters can have multiple meanings depending on context and I've guessed the most likely meaning in a good many instances. Now that my arrse is covered, here goes. I've added some commentary in red where the translation refers to something not specified in the text and in brackets to help clarify what the phrase refers to.

The next bit is just operating instructions like how to enter text, what the ‘I’m feeling lucky’ button does, etc.

It gets interesting again at

It finishes off with a disclaimer that ‘the management is not responsible for the content... yada'.

Valley Sister is the software's attempt to translate 'Goojie'.