China Crisis?

Not the sh!te 80's band, the very large communist scary state, and the world's refusal to have a look at it with any sort of realism...well possibly...I dunno, I might just be a bit paranoid.

They've had an “economic miracle” and made all this money supplying the rest of the world with disposable tat.
And what have they done with their dosh? Invested it in welfare? Public Works? Education?
Have they b0llocks!
They're going b4lls out to get their hands on high end western military tech They've shoved the better part of their money into the armed forces, and at current rate of growth they'll be a match for the west in the next two decades.
Seeing what they've done in Tibet, and what happens to their own people when they stand up to them, I'll hopefully be pushing up daisies when they finish their modernisation of their armed forces.

Nobody in power anywhere in the west dares raise a voice to question the motivations of this lot, and I was wondering if anybody brighter than me had any thoughts.

As you say - look at it through their eyes. They are investing in bringing their forces up to a size commensurate with their standing and GDP. They are not completely modernising and, with the exception of Africa, are finding it hard to spend their readies on anything meaningful because no-one will sell them much of import (hence their buying up dodgy car brands when they fail etc)

Ops_Offr said:
As you say - look at it through their eyes. They are investing in bringing their forces up to a size commensurate with their standing and GDP. They are not completely modernising and, with the exception of Africa, are finding it hard to spend their readies on anything meaningful because no-one will sell them much of import (hence their buying up dodgy car brands when they fail etc)
Volvo is dodgy :?

From the SCMP:

China could have its first aircraft carrier operational in two years, according to the most senior US military official in the Asia-Pacific region.

Admiral Robert Willard, commander of the US Pacific Command in Hawaii, told a recent US congressional hearing that the Soviet-era carrier Varyag, bought from a Ukrainian shipyard in 1998, would be "operational around 2012 and likely be used to develop basic carrier skills" after a 10-year refit. His statement is the most specific yet from the Pentagon on Beijing's aircraft carrier ambitions.

Steven said:

Volvo is dodgy :?
The bloated Hummer of the chattering classes.

I don't know what anyone would have against the Chinese. They are very kindly holding DC's ballooning deficit as the dollar plummets. A very large part of the US industrial base has been off-shored there slashing labor costs and driving blue collar Americans onto the breadline thus making the top couple of deciles in the US as rich as Croesus. Their dirt cheap products wall Walmart and litter the eagerly consuming debt ridden trailer parks. This decade Beijing's been busily buying up all the choice bits of Africa and S.America while Uncle Sam distracted himself in minor Middle Eastern countries.

While delivering the odd lecture to a spendthrift, tax adverse DC and a socialized kleptocratic Wallstreet on fiscal responsibility they haven't even demanded Taiwan back... yet.

So what if the Chinese are building up their military. It's not as if we're going to wake up one fine morning, turn on the telly, and see the PLA parading down Whitehall.

And if the PLAN does go on the rampage in the Pacific, what are we going to do? Send a frigate?

littlejim said:
weekend_worrier said:
So what if the Chinese are building up their military. It's not as if we're going to wake up one fine morning, turn on the telly, and see the PLA parading down Whitehall.

And if the PLAN does go on the rampage in the Pacific, what are we going to do? Send a frigate?
That's easy for you to say . . .
I think that was his point... we've not a lot left in the kitty.

TopBadger said:
littlejim said:
weekend_worrier said:

That's easy for you to say . . .
I think that was his point... we've not a lot left in the kitty.
but their food is soooooooo delicious and you get to want another an hour later mmmmmmmmmmmmm quality!

I've worked in China for over 4 years teaching them to operate modern power plants and I don't think the west has anything to fear from them. In my time there I never met any real communists, every damn one of them is a capitalist at heart and have the same hopes and goals as we have. The local Chinese people have never had it so good and they'll tell you that quite openly, without fear of reprisals. It's not the military side we have to watch it's the economic, they're not frightened to get their fingers out and asses into gear and work to improve their lot. More multi millionaires and Billionaires in China now than in many western countries.

Plus the chinese tarts are great and don't have a problem shagging us cos they think we all have big cocks!

If you ever get the chance, take a trip to HK and take the ferry across the water to Shenzen or Shekou and party, party party. Last time I was there, about £60 got me a 4-5 star hotel for the night, meals for 4, a damn good drink and company all night for as long as you wanted it!! I'll work there in a minute, even take a big drop in wages to go back.

Andy632 said:
I've worked in China for over 4 years teaching them to operate modern power plants and I don't think the west has anything to fear from them. In my time there I never met any real communists, every damn one of them is a capitalist at heart and have the same hopes and goals as we have. The local Chinese people have never had it so good and they'll tell you that quite openly, without fear of reprisals. It's not the military side we have to watch it's the economic, they're not frightened to get their fingers out and asses into gear and work to improve their lot. More multi millionaires and Billionaires in China now than in many western countries.

Plus the chinese tarts are great and don't have a problem shagging us cos they think we all have big cocks!

If you ever get the chance, take a trip to HK and take the ferry across the water to Shenzen or Shekou and party, party party. Last time I was there, about £60 got me a 4-5 star hotel for the night, meals for 4, a damn good drink and company all night for as long as you wanted it!! I'll work there in a minute, even take a big drop in wages to go back.

Younger members will at this point realise the point of the adage;
Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

Sounds similar to the stories of East Berlin.

Andy632 said:

Secretly, you're hoping for WWIII, just like the rest of us.

parahopes said:
Andy632 said:

Secretly, you're hoping for WWIII, just like the rest of us.
Aye, Right! 3 years off my planned retirement date and I'm planning living long enough to be a pain in the ass to my grandkids!
I enjoy shooting but only as a hobby!

It comes down to this: do we really believe all the ideological stuff we've shoved down folks' throats for the last 60-odd years about competition and markets being good for everybody? If the answer is 'yes' then we have nothing to fear because we will choose to compete and it'll be cake all round. If we're fooling ourselves and it was only ever an excuse to hog all the best stuff for ourselves with no effort put in, then we are fucked - and deservedly so.

Don't be afraid because you see the word 'Communist' - these lads aren't Mao. They're authoritarian and highly paternalistic technocrats. The party itself may have a love of closed proceedings, but inside those proceedings the rule is that no subjects are out of bounds. As a result, you have 'Communists' pushing agendas ranging from deliberative democracy or multi-party elections to reunification with Taiwan using Taiwan as the governmental model in addition to the standard Marxist chat. It is incredibly catholic, flexible and adaptable with a seemingly endless ability to reinvent itself.

One final thought for people who think there should be a rush to overthrow it in favour of a more westernised system: imagine a China where 800+ millions of peasants want their government to improve their standard of living right now and have the ability to compel it to do so through elections. Now ask yourself how any government could achieve this?

inbredyokel666 said:
Not the sh!te 80's band
They weren't sh1te. They were a good band.

They could have been sued under the trades descriptions act though.

weekend_worrier said:
'That's easy for you to say . . .'

(Facepalm) ... Talk about missing the point. Do you sign your name with a crayon or something?
And have you ever seen a map of the world? Had you done so you would now realise that Australia is well within the Chinese sphere of influence. Never mind the mines they're buying here, Australian house prices are sky rocketing because of the Chinese money flooding in to our domestic market place.

And when we stop them buying the resources they need they're quite likely to pursue capitalism by other means. The only thing between them and us is the US Navy and what happens if America goes bankrupt or breaks out in a civil war?

Which is why it's easy for somebody in the UK to say there won't be a Chinese invasion. It's not something we here can be so sure about. Incidentally, you did notice that my posting was from Australia, didn't you?

However, I do regret making a brief, off the cuff comment which has clearly baffled the psychologically inert amongst us. I will certainly use my crayon next time for your benefit.

I'm there regularly. They're shrewd, honest businesss people. Trick is to understand thier view of the world and adapt. Relationships are the key. They're a very proud and nationalistic nation, but in a good way. Their basis for politics, however, is very different from ours, which leads to cultural clashes. All the people I deal with are hesitant to cirticise the government, but hold similar view to our own on those matters that make the papers.