China | Cracks in Three Gorges Dam | 300,000 at risk

In China, cracks are appearing – in the neighbourhood of the massive Three Gorges Dam, the country’s great prestige project, and also in the Great Internet Firewall of China, enabling the ominous news to leak out. Three years ago stories were already emerging in the Chinese media about landslides, ecological deterioration and accumulation of algae further down the river. And less and less effort seems to be made to plug the leaks.

Recent media reports tell of a series of landslips, minor earthquakes and cracks appearing in roads and buildings along the central section of the Yangtse, between the dam and the city of Chongqing. Almost 10,000 “dangerous sites” have been identified, but many of the people living near them cannot be relocated for lack of money...
More HERE

I wonder if it will be like on those Hollywood movies... 8O

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Lets fire up the Lancaster for a fly past

300,000 is a drop in the Ocean for them they will breed that many in a year or two anyway

Our Foreign aid should help them after all China is skint

Isn't it?

Aha, this is where an investigation will find evidence of bribery in the construction industry in China and senior members of the Boards of certain Chinese construction companies will face the firing squad next year.

eodmatt said:
Aha, this is where an investigation will find evidence of bribery in the construction industry in China and senior members of the Boards of certain Chinese construction companies will face the firing squad next year.
I'm not sure its even a squad, I think you just get a 9mm pushed in your ear

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I think there outrage bus is a bit different from ours
You get picked up shot and anything useful gets whipped out before you even have a chance to query the bill for 36p

In my very limited experience with the Chinese it seems to me that they come up with a novel solution and then work really fast, so I won't be surprised if they build a new dam behind the present one, demolish the damaged bits, carve any secure stumps into heroic statues, and use the rubble to build their high speed railways.

eodmatt said:
On a major project like this, it'll be more than just the companies that get the high-velocity end of justice. Jiang Zemin and his cronies were up to their necks in the project and the awarding of contract. If it does go pear-shaped it might be a way to get rid of the old bastard once and for all.

It was a Chinese dream for decades to dam the Yangtze, dating back at least to Sun Yat-Sen. Unfortunately, bigger doesn't always mean better and a bigger dam than the Nationalists or Japanese envisaged might not have been the best option.

As an aside, the Times does seem to have a bee in its bonnet about this project. They've been predicting doom for three years to my knowledge. Murdoch getting a shoeing in the broadcast stakes presumably has nothing to do with it.

smartascarrots said:
eodmatt said:
On a major project like this, it'll be more than just the companies that get the high-velocity end of justice. Jiang Zemin and his cronies were up to their necks in the project and the awarding of contract. If it does go pear-shaped it might be a way to get rid of the old bastard once and for all.

It was a Chinese dream for decades to dam the Yangtze, dating back at least to Sun Yat-Sen. Unfortunately, bigger doesn't always mean better and a bigger dam than the Nationalists or Japanese envisaged might not have been the best option.

As an aside, the Times does seem to have a bee in its bonnet about this project. They've been predicting doom for three years to my knowledge. Murdoch getting a shoeing in the broadcast stakes presumably has nothing to do with it.
slowly slowly catchy monkey .. :)

Pretty sure cracks were being reported while the dam was still under construction... either way, when this thing gives it's going to be one heck of a wet and violent mess.