China bugs and burgles Britain

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    January 31, 2010
    China bugs and burgles Britain
    David Leppard

THE security service MI5 has accused China of bugging and burgling UK business executives and setting up “honeytraps” in a bid to blackmail them into betraying sensitive commercial secrets.

A leaked MI5 document says that undercover intelligence officers from the People’s Liberation Army and the Ministry of Public Security have also approached UK businessmen at trade fairs and exhibitions with the offer of “gifts” and “lavish hospitality”.

The gifts — cameras and memory sticks — have been found to contain electronic Trojan bugs which provide the Chinese with remote access to users’ computers.

MI5 says the Chinese government “represents one of the most significant espionage threats to the UK” because of its use of these methods, as well as widespread electronic hacking.

Written by MI5’s Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure, the 14-page “restricted” report describes how China has attacked UK defence, energy, communications and manufacturing companies in a concerted hacking campaign.

It claims China has also gone much further, targeting the computer networks and email accounts of public relations companies and international law firms. “Any UK company might be at risk if it holds information which would benefit the Chinese,” the report says.
  2. So what?

If MI6 are not doing the same to China, they are not doing their job!
  3. there is always a chink in the armour...
  4. They spy on us, we spy on them. The yanks spy on us, we spy on the French and Germans. The Israelis spy on everybody and we all spy on the UN.

Big boy's games, big boy's rules. On the plus side, if they were particularly good, we'd not know they were doing it.

5. i chink you're right, but you might be wong :wink:

... i'll get my coat :)
  6. Grass mud horse.
  7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Christ, does anybody not know about this? Everyone spys on everyone (exception: we take it up the arrse from the U.S. and are expected to say 'thank you'). The only problem is, we spend more time looking for Jihadi's and Iranian alleyways now, there is very little left in the kitty for the old guard (China, Russia, Eastern Bloc). We are a fcuking laughing stock...
  8. Most of my computer is made in China, hang on I've just got to answer the doo
  9. Labour have been robbing and spying on me for 13 years… :x
  10. Does anyone else get the feeling that this has more to do with showing support to the US in its current war of words with PRC than actually offering anything of substance?
  11. How do the Chinese girls compare to Mossad's & SVR's?
  12. The same can be said for a lot of people in Britain.There again,Labour are,like the Chinese,communists.
  13. From what I have seen,the word fit springs to mind.
  14. In other news, Pope is revealed as Catholic. Bear seen defecating in some woods.
  15. Must be a slow news day.A bit like reporting that bears defacate in forested areas.