China bans English words in media

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by singha61, Dec 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC
    China has banned newspapers, publishers and website-owners from using foreign words - particularly English ones.

China's state press and publishing body said such words were sullying the purity of the Chinese language.

It said standardised Chinese should be the norm: the press should avoid foreign abbreviations and acronyms, as well as "Chinglish" - which is a mix of English and Chinese.

The order also extends existing warnings that applied to radio and TV.

China's General Administration of Press and Publication said that with economic and social development, foreign languages were increasingly being used in all types of publications in China.

It said such use had "seriously damaged" the purity of the Chinese language and resulted in "adverse social impacts" on the cultural environment, reported the People's Daily newspaper.

If words must be written in a foreign language, an explanation in Chinese is required, the state body said.

BBC News - China bans English words in media

2. I was always under the impression that languages were always continuously evolving. Oh well.

3. This has been bubbling for a while, it is a reactionary move similar to doomed French efforts a while ago. The particular politicians and academics who sponsored it are very conscious of how they are being left behind by modern China....far far behind.

It's an action widely derided by the majority of the population on the east coast. It won't last long especially as it now makes any use of English in communication with other Chinese an act of subtle rebellion and modernity. The faction that pushed it through will soon enough be purged and put in charge of something very important on the Pakistan border.

4. That's OK.I'll stop using Chinese words in daily conversation.

5. Problem, there isn't one Chinese language, there is Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu, Hui, Gan, Min, Hakka, Xiang, Ping, Jin to name many, add tot he mix, you have ethnic languages, Tibetan, Uighur, Mongolian, Korean, none of which are mutually intelligible, they are on a hiding to nothing, the Chinese people will use whats convenient for them.

The only thing that unites them is Zhongwen (中文) script which can be understood by all.

6. Seem to remember the french government saying the same thing some years ago, difference is that the chinks have way ways of helping dissidents to see the light.

7. They always do and there's no real way of stopping them. You do get particular problems with character-based languages, though, not least of which is that everyone has to agree on what particular characters and character-combinations mean for there to be mutual intelligibility.

As A-J pointed out, it's the old guard who're driving this and they're the ones who introduced a standard spoken form of Mandarin and the simplified character set. I'm not honestly surprised they're a bit touchy as they'll remember the days when you could cross a county border, let alone provincial one, and suddenly not be able to uderstand a word anyone's saying. A standard written language was absolutely vital to administer the nation and educate the workforce.

8. That is still very much the case in my experience carrots, local dialect is very strong all over China, after all how else can you communicate in with your neighbours when outsiders may be listening in, especially officials.

I would say that one of the main objections about use of English in print media, TV & Radio that that old guard has is that they don't speak it and the kids do.

9. The Jade Dream's a case in point: post-80s generation, native Mandarin speaker from Gansu who had to take special Mandarin classes when she went to university in Shanghai so that she could understand the lectures! Baba-in-law's from Shanghai, so she'd picked up a bit of Wu and that put her ahead of the other waidiren in her class who couldn't understand a word the locals said unless they were speaking Mandarin.

If you have a look at the comments translated from the Youku bulletin board, a surprising number admit to not being that hot at Putonghua compared to the Russkie newsreader. A less surprising number admit to finding her boobage rather appealing.

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

OK so whats chinky for microchip? superconductor? what about the whole periodic table?

idiots.

11. Xīn​piàn​ and chāo​dǎo​tǐ​ for the first two. As for the zhōu​qī​xì​, you can find it here. The first major attempts to integrate Western science into the Chinese language were made under the Qing dynasty, so it's not as if there isn't a precedent.

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

well I guess their serious then.

13. Looks slightly similar to what I was ordering from last night, just not as confusing.

SK

14. Well, it's a double-edged sword, or from their perspective a win-win situation. Like their efforts to introduce a form of www based on Chinese characters, it'll make it easier to educate and inform their public but at the same time control what they're educated and informed about.