China arming terrorists

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jun 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

New intelligence reveals China is covertly supplying large quantities of small arms and weapons to insurgents in Iraq and the Taliban militia in Afghanistan, through Iran. (See article.) :x

Link to article.:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/inring.htm

2. "Kettle, this is Pot. You're black. Over."

Trip, if you want to start a discussion about how royally screwed up the international arms trade is, then you'd better brace yourself because Uncle Sam doesn't exactly have an exemplary record on arms sales from an ethical point of view.

Incidentally, why shouldn't the Chinese be arming America's adversaries when the same people who write and read the Washington Times have been arguing for multi-billion dollar turkeys like the F-22 on the grounds that they will be needed to contain and confront a resurgent China? The Chinese government is looking out for Chinese interests just as the US government is looking out for US interests.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Its simple Crabtastic and I'm suprised you miss the subtle difference, we were taught it when we were in the playground. The US are the goodies, the Chinese are the baddies... :roll:

4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

My lesson's on the Chinese as 'bad guys' didn't come on the playground. I got my 'lessons' on the chinese as an enemy in 1951 — 1952 in the cold mountains in Korea.

BTW: Crabtastic, these weapons are also helping to kill your soldiers in both places as well.

5. Nicely put Trip.

6. Damn- why do I always forget that bit? :D

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

My geography is pretty bad, so maybe you can help. That's the Korea that is near the Rockies, or the one near China?

8. YA !! I bloody knew it.

When I put this forward to my local SB officer in a pub as long ago as 2001 I was told I had read too much Tom Clancy.

Trotsky

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Actually the only Korea/Corea I could find was in Maine, didn't realise they had mountains, and the Chinese were bloody cheeky to invade Maine. I mean how many influential people have homes there... :wink:

10. I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying this is the nature of the game. After all, from the Chinese perspective, the US has spent the last 50+ years arming a rebel Chinese Province to the teeth.

It's been decided somewhere in Beijing and/or Washington that the PRC and the US are, or shortly will be, strategic competitors. Only a moron would expect an adversary to sit there and accept whatever plan you have for them. They will have their own aims and objectives and will do what they can to achieve them, while at the same time doing what they can to stop you achieving yours. This is an immutable fact of competition, be it in a game of football or a war. There's no use in throwing your teddies out of your crib about it, you just adapt your strategy and crack on.

Unless, of course, you change the rules. But that's another conversation entirely.

11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Nehustan:

Geez! Your really reaching there Nehustan!

Yes, not only is your geography VERY poor, but your logic here is even worse!

I see no connection to not learning my lessons on the chinese, as you suggested on the playground and my doing battle with the chinese hordes in the mountains of Korea serving my country and the UN. My statement here had no bearing on the politics, etc. of that war or its geography.

The only thing my statement said was that I learned my lesson on the chinese as an enemy, (Bad Guys) firsthand, meeting them on the field of battle in Korea.

Keep in mind that the Korean war, was a UN operation and the UK's forces (Along with others.) were also learning their lessons on the chinese as an enemy, as well.

BTW: Here is a little help with your geography. :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Ahhh, k., thought it must have been a skiing resort. Well its good to see that America engages in UN activity when the UN do what they're told. The British politicos doing what they're told, more of a given everyday...

13. It was the last time the Soviets got in a girly stamp and marched out of a Security Council meeting before a vote. But that's what can happen when you take business dealings personally. :wink:

14. So merely being the enemy automatically makes them "the Bad Guys"? My, what a wonderfully simple world you live in...

Realpolitik is a nasty game, you don't start whinging just bacause another player has started using your own tactics against you. You find a way to up your game or else you lose.

In any case, why shouldn't arms businesses sell their products? US companies sell to all sorts of unsavoury people. Are you about to complain about them?

15. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

smartascarrots:

Quote:

"So merely being the enemy automatically makes them "the Bad Guys"? My, what a wonderfully simple world you live in..."

Yes, when you are fighting an enemy hand to hand that is trying to kill you, and have already killed your mates, they automatically become the 'bad guys,' or whatever other nasty term, that one wants to give them.

Have you ever fought an enemy face to face hand to hand in combat smartascarrots? What pray tell, is a soldier in combat supposed to think of the enemy he's fighting, that they are the good guys? Love thy enemies? Get real!

What an unlikely strange world you live in smartascarrots.