China - and the dangerous drift to war in Asia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sunnoficarus, Mar 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The PRC abandoned proposals to call their carrier Shi Lang and go for Liaoning instead because of the hackles that name raised on Taiwan.

I wonder what the ARRSE fraternity would make of a Japanese carrier named Singapore?

2. About as much as renaming QE and PoW to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in retaliation.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. PRC and Taiwan is a tad complicated

Why should it bother any Arrser - its not as if the Japs would be the 1st navy to name ships after famous victories.

I doubt they would given the war crimes connotations like wise I doubt the US will be Commissioning a ship named Enola Gay

4. No, I suspect that would meet with no amount of outrage on here whatsoever - unlike the reverse case.

5. I disagree, but then we often do. It wouldn’t happen in any case

6. Because a tedious portion of the membership seem to feel that revelling in past victories is something that should only be done when a) it's us doing it or b) it doesn't involve us.

7. But that's back to my point viz Yars

The vast majority would get outraged over another nations naming conventions

As an aside I cant see why Tirpitz would be offensive anyway - Other than distracting Bomber command it didn't really do anything anyway

8. Me neither. Naming a submarine U-47 would be much more of a wind-up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don’t believe anyone got their knickers in a twist when a German destroyer was called Rommel. Some people will take exception to perceived slights. Most will put it down to a nation recognising their History and jog on.

10. I was thinking U571

Nothing winds us up more than the Spams** appropriating our history

**Hollywood really

11. Going to be a major feature? China are already the world's largest source market of tourists and the biggest spenders. Get your business ready - Canada-China Year of Tourism 2018
    They are Canada's third largest source of tourists, after the US and the UK. Many countries are making a big push to get more of that tourism business.

[​IMG]

12. YarS

YarS On ROPs

It is interesting how did Japan's understand this act of naming:
    Japan Military Discussions
    YarS: "And she was taking part in the Pearl-Harbour party. Is it polite for "baka-gaijin" feelings? As I know, earlier you avoided to give such names to ships, didn't you? I can remember only "Ojasio" submarine."
    Uzushio (Japan member):"yes but we are naming after ww2 ships its a pride of our navy. I don't think it polite for "Baka gaijin feelings" but I do not like how USA put limits on our military. we are sending Kaga there to remember Pearl Harbor attack."

13. Ah well 1 ill informed nationalist speaks to you that must make it fact.

Its just a shame your friend is unaware of the Soryu** that's been in service about 10 years or indeed the Urnyu
    In fact one could almost believe the Use of Kagu is merely inline with a long standing naming convention, but having just been made aware of it you want it to have some significance

** Which in a previous life was just off Hawaii on 7 Dec 1941

Edit on reading your link it seems your determined to incite a flame war between US and Japanese posters -
    Its equally clear they think you are a knob and aren't biting

14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Back in the 60s the newly legit West German navy had two little cast-off ex-RN frigates called Scharnhorst and Gneisnau.

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. Not really. IIRC:

RAF 1 Tirpitz 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk