China - and the dangerous drift to war in Asia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sunnoficarus, Mar 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or the Korean War!

2. Wasn't called the PLA then.

3. Or overseas either.

4. PVA (as obviously all volunteers) ;)

5. OK technically not PLA if we are being pedantic, and they may have invaded Korea via land, but one should not forget their capability. Current force projection of PLA is limited, and this is clearly something that China will be working on in the next few years. This was an interesting article written last year, but goes to the strategic heart of China's stepping stone approach. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey!
    Chinese Military Engagement in Africa

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical. If it is to your advantage, make a forward move; if not, stay where you are. Anger may in time change to gladness; vexation may be succeeded by content."
    – Sun Tzu

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bit in the London Times today (28th July) re Briatin sending a Royal Navy ship to the South Chins Sea.

The Times is behind a paywall, so I can't post a link.

7. I've seen that Bond film...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Its a long way away - so the only concerns are

How long will it last and how much money can we make selling arms to India - China or hopefully both

9. Wouldn't any arms sold to either country be paid for out of the foreign aid we give to both?.

10. The following is a rather interesting overview of the China-India stand-off in Bhutan. High stakes in the Himalayas: China-India standoff fuelled by nationalism and new self-confidence

I don't think I could summarise it adequately at this time, so I'll recommend reading it in full.

I will however mention that the article describes the real cause as being a struggle between China and India for dominance in Asia in general as American power wanes in the region.
    The following quote is particularly worth reading, as it gives a good flavour of the attitude of the parties.
    Overall I recommend reading it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. President Xi made a speech on Tuesday. China will not permit loss of 'any piece' of territory, president warns

The speech was made following a parade at a military training ground in northern China, so the themes of the speech were rather naturally directed along relevant lines.
    He said that the Chinese people have confidence to defeat all forms of invasion.
    He also said that China will not permit anyone to separate any bit of Chinese territory from China.
    Both of the above are pretty commonplace sentiments in many countries, but they are no doubt being reiterated for emphasis.

However, he also said that the PLA's role includes safeguarding the rule of the Chinese Communist Party as well as national security, sovereignty, and world peace. The first item is perhaps intended to remind people of who is in charge in China.
    The rest of the story mainly just sums up the recent improvements to China's military and their relationship to current events, all of which have been covered more extensively in other posts on this thread.

12. It's always important to remember that the PLA was never nationalised, unlike the KMT's counterpart. It remains the armed force of the Chinese People's Communist Party, defending China as part of the CCP's portfolio of governing.

His remark ("...safeguard the leadership of...") is a boilerplate phrase re-emphasising to the PLA that the Party must always control the gun.

13. I don't see India backing down on this one either, under the current government. I don't think that China is actually in a position to just push India out either, this is not 1962.
    A war over a gravel road over the top of the world seems ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than one over Jenkin's ear.

Especially with the willy-waving which is becoming more noticeable in the public mood of both countries.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017